a good read

Started by alfred, June 27, 2022, 02:20:26 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

Very recently iv bought a book via amazon and have just begun reading the life of Sir roger Moore the actor ,on my tablet, and what iv read so far makes very interesting reading the book is entitled (  my word is my bond ) I'm sure some members of the forum might well have already read it but for me i can remember some of the things he mentions from the twilight world where gas mantles were part in a small way heating and lighting a room long before electricity came along , and similarly in those early years he reminded me of other factors which by todays modern youngsters would think it was some thing from the stone age , possibly something even earlier, ( bronze age )

and so its a frank but sincere and honest book as he leaves little out particularly in the early years when he was  growing up and of where he lived  at that time then,

Q; have you read any good worth while books recently or even in the past that's worth a mention if so will you share your thoughts with us particularly in these times of financial trouble ,  reading something to brighten the day perhaps ,.

Scrumpy

I have just finished  Not A Happy Family..

It is a good read... Greed.. Murder and Lies.. !!
My sort of people.. !!  :busted:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I tend to listen to audiobooks rather than read these days and often books I've listened to before (doesn't matter so much when I nod off for an indeterminate time) Currently revisiting some Steven King books between Reachers which are new to me and very fast paced,

I recall gas mantles. As a child we had caravan holidays and they were always lit by gas. The other thing that lives with me to this day from then is the smell of the chemical privvies that the caravan sites had.

Scrumpy

Gas mantles.... !!! Our very first touring caravan was so old it had gas mantles.. Sam wouldn't let me near them..after I smashed one when lighting it.. You have to be very gentle because they are so fragile..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

the house into which we moved in 1947 had gas mantles in the two downstairs rooms. Light in the kitchen and the bedrooms was by candle - and the toilet was outside. Oh, and no electricity. Those were the days
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

The  big old house in Perth that my grandparents bought in 1940 had no electricity in it. All gas lamps on the walls, they put the electricity in, luckily my mums brother was an electrician. That was the house we moved to when we left the island, I found it very strange there and the house used to scare me at night.

klondike

My father was an electrician and I know he rewired the house they moved into with me as a babe in arms but I have no idea if it was gas lit. Almost certainly not though.

Michael Rolls

dad had electricity installed and created a bathroom and toilet - previously the house had no bathroom. Oh, and the only heating was an open fire in each of the two main rooms - no form of heating anywhere else - electricity was luxury!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]