What would you do.?

Started by Scrumpy, April 21, 2024, 09:09:38 AM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

Actually Dex a couple of months before I emigrated I was stopped on Liverpool Street Station, awaiting a train on Platform 19 by a young man, who shook my hand. In fact we went and had a glass or three in nearby 'Dirty Dick's'! He had been the 9 year old I referred to. His brother (who worked at the Station with him) joined us breaking his shift for an hour, by special dispensation from the Station master. Sometimes millimetres can really matter ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

That was nice Cass.  

You are correct.  Micro events can lead to macro outcomes.

Cassandra

We met up with a friend of that superb actor Patrick McGoohan, (The Prisoner / Danger Man etc)  whilst we were with friends, up the Lake at Xmas. She was his well known friend and adviser for many decades. She recalled how close as friends McGoohan and Peter Falk were, indeed Patrick directed quite a few episodes of 'Columbo' as well as starring in some. Both were great pranksters. Patrick left 'false dog poo's' in Columbo's shoes and on his chair on the set for example, when the dog first appeared, as Falk thought it was a mistake to pair him with this solumn faced canine. However the dog loved a drink, so the three of them (McGoohan, Falk & Bassett) became inseparable when they were all together either on or off camera.

Said that Peter Falk was one of the most wonderfully uncomplicated people you could ever hope to meet and that came to love 'Dog' as they called him in the series. The original creature unfortunately died not long after his introduction. She said Peter Falk rang Patrick wet-eyed to break the news, as he "really loved that stoopid mutt".

She revealed some other wonderful stuff too about this former IRS civil servant accountant, turned acting genius as 'Columbo' who loved Britain, the UK and of course Dogs!

Alex

Great stories Cass, keep 'em coming  :upvote:  :grin:

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on April 21, 2024, 07:11:25 PMGreat stories Cass, keep 'em coming  :upvote:  :grin:

Forgot to add Alex, the former 9 year old (then in his late twenties, when we re-met) said he remembered being terrified that I would lock him up for 30 years and even dreamt about it, as his schoolfriends told him he was guilty of attempted murder!  I didn't recall it nor the fact that I'd seen him in 'camera' (I'd forgotten) as he'd also unknowingly seen the men who discarded the gun and robbery spoils from a car). He recalls I gave him a wink and a 'Mickey Mouse Watch' after the trial and had addressed him 'Wotcha Cock'!

Funny all those years later how one event triggers another (Macro outcome as Dex so rightly says). Also how my face must have lived in his mind. He told me in parting, how horrified he was though when "I took my hair off to bend down to speak with him"!

dextrous63

Lovely story Cass.  Especially the bit about taking your hair off🤣🤣

Scrumpy

Good to read of your memories Cassandra.. 
Always interesting..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on April 22, 2024, 06:55:38 PMGood to read of your memories Cassandra..
Always interesting..
I agree.
Some very interesting 'cases', which I am not surprised to hear because many court cases must be particularly interesting.

Of course, never having been in court (I'm proud to say), probably because I have been very careful - or lucky!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

I have only been in court once.. Many years back.. To obtain a divorce..
I remember catching  a Greenline bus heading for the London Courts..
The bus was running a bit late.. I had to jump off the bus and grab a taxi..
 My solicitor and a man in a wig plus black gown were waiting..
Horrible place.. Most intimidating... Standing in the witness box.. I was no Marlene Dietrich with a veil over my face.. Just a village lass.. With her mum in tow..

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Never been. Probably too old for jury service now too and was never asked.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on April 23, 2024, 09:42:45 AMNever been. Probably too old for jury service now too and was never asked.
I wonder what the cut-off age is.  I'm 72 in August, but I'm not sure whether I can wriggle out of it.
Perhaps I'm nowhere near as old as you.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Raven

Vlad

I have never been in court but I have been in jail. 
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

Raven

Quote from: Vlad on April 23, 2024, 12:33:08 PMI have never been in court but I have been in jail.

I got a phone call around 2am from the police around 30 years ago, they had picked up my son on his way home from the dancing.....or whatever his generation called it. Himself and another lad were rowing and near to the blows bit, when the police spotted them and arrested them. I had to go down and bail the young scunner out, I was boiling, give him his due he never did it again.....or never got caught.

klondike

Just checked and it was raised from 70 to 75 in England and Wales in 2016. I'm 75 in December so I could still get called but haven't so far so i'm reckoning the odds are that I won't be,