Tories and Nigel Farage

Started by klondike, February 26, 2024, 09:43:14 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Nigel Farage Should Not Be Allowed to Rejoin Conservative Party, Says Deputy PM Dowden

Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden said on Sunday that Nigel Farage should not be welcomed back into the Conservative Party, despite Prime Minister Sunak claiming that the party is an "open tent" and former Prime Minister Liz Truss expressing enthusiasm about the Brexit leader potentially returning to the party.

Confusion reigns supreme within the Conservative Party yet again as top figures within the party openly debate whether Nigel Farage should be allowed back into the party after leaving in 1992 after then-Prime Minister John Major signed the Maastricht Treaty which formalised the European Union as it is known today.

Mr Farage went on to lead the UK Independence Party (UKIP) and championed the campaign to undo Britain's decision to join the bloc during the EU Brexit Referendum of 2016, following which he challenged the Tories with his Brexit Party, which has since been rebranded to Reform UK.

While Mr Farage has shut down the idea of rejoining the Conservatives with their current agenda, which he has claimed more resembles a social democrat party's rather than a small-c conservative agenda, the Brexiteer has left the door open to returning after the next general election.

According to all major polls, Sunak's Conservatives are likely heading towards an electoral wipeout of historic proportions and may possibly be inclined to return to more Thatcherite principles favoured by Farage after the expected defeat in a reset back to first principles.

Lots more waffle - https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2024/02/26/nigel-farage-should-not-be-allowed-to-rejoin-conservative-party-says-deputy-pm-dowden/

I only needed the headline. It shouted two things to me.

I don't think Nigel Farage is interested in the current Tory party (or rather its MPs in the main).

The fact that a senior (but I've never heard of him) Tory says this tells me it will take a miracle to save them. If there is a miracle it will be more down to Labour losing the Muslim vote than anything else.

A reader poll in the Express today :grin:

JBR

I'm sure that most Conservative voters would like to see Nigel join the party.  After all, the party is losing support hand over fist.
Fortunately, Nigel seems fully aware that the Lib-Con party is not following his ideas for the country, nor that of most of the people who voted Conservative in the past and have come to realise that it is no longer the Conservative party other than in name.

I think that most Conservative voters would benefit themselves and the country generally by voting for Reform.

I suspect that even some dyed-in-the-wool Labour voters may be thinking the same.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

klondike