Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Started by klondike, June 25, 2023, 08:51:59 AM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: 1955vintage on June 25, 2023, 03:54:08 PMIncluding his wife. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Indeed & she was friends with some bird who introduced her & Phony Tony to an Australian weight-loss tea fraudster who helped them buy some properties in Bristol.

https://tinyurl.com/zh7yctdm

I seem to recall that Peter Foster was shagging Sam Fox at the time of his weight-loss tea fraud.

https://tinyurl.com/3u8smc8n

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GHF

I will not vote Tory the next time, Snake Oil Salesman 
Boris sickened me. I can't vote Labour and the rest
 haven't a hope in hell.... 

Monster raving loony party????? 

Alex

Reform has more chance than the Monster Party

Diasi

As I've said before, the vindictive part of me wants to see a Labour Government in 2024.

No one under the age of 31 knows what a Labour Government is like, they didn't see the financial crash of 2008 coming & they were in charge so they should have done.

The record high UK inflation rate of 23%, was under Wilson's Labour Government in 1975.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

Hmm.  After a fair old crack of the whip, the UK now has debts of 100.1% of GDP.  This is the highest record since 1961 which, by a curious coincidence, was several years into a ..... Tory Government.

Maybe, just maybe, the idea of the Tories being the financially prudent party isn't quite so accurate as one may think?

JBR

Quote from: GHF on June 25, 2023, 07:22:50 PMI will not vote Tory the next time, Snake Oil Salesman
Boris sickened me. I can't vote Labour and the rest
 haven't a hope in hell....

Monster raving loony party?????
Reform is worth voting for, if you can trust them.

I can.

Don't waste your vote and let Labour get in.

June 25, 2023, 08:53:56 PM
Quote from: Diasi on June 25, 2023, 08:04:00 PMAs I've said before, the vindictive part of me wants to see a Labour Government in 2024.

No one under the age of 31 knows what a Labour Government is like, they didn't see the financial crash of 2008 coming & they were in charge so they should have done.

The record high UK inflation rate of 23%, was under Wilson's Labour Government in 1975.
Fair point!

If they do get in, it's a pretty sure thing that it will open the eyes of some youngsters, especially if they are trying to make a living and not knocking off work!

June 25, 2023, 09:02:41 PM
Quote from: dextrous63 on June 25, 2023, 08:20:00 PMHmm.  After a fair old crack of the whip, the UK now has debts of 100.1% of GDP.  This is the highest record since 1961 which, by a curious coincidence, was several years into a ..... Tory Government.

Maybe, just maybe, the idea of the Tories being the financially prudent party isn't quite so accurate as one may think?
This lot certainly aren't, but of course they're not Conservatives (in the true sense).  They are Liberals, many of whom have managed to sneak into the Conservative party whilst it was in government.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

Quote from: dextrous63 on June 25, 2023, 08:20:00 PMHmm.  After a fair old crack of the whip, the UK now has debts of 100.1% of GDP.  This is the highest record since 1961 which, by a curious coincidence, was several years into a ..... Tory Government.

Public debt isn't only acquired by central government. There was a lot of public building going on in the 1960s all financed by borrowing. Also there are cases where borrowing is sensible for capital projects. However the present government has not balanced their budget for years and is borrowing to pay interest and finance current expenditure.

Diasi

Much of it being inherited as a result of New Labour's disastrous policy of getting public projects financed by private investment.
[email protected]

klondike

Ah yes. The infamous £000s in service charges to change a fluorescent in a hospital and similar.

GHF

This lot has made such a mess money moneywise and if we factor in
what Truss did in her mad few weeks, they have got to go.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on June 26, 2023, 09:10:49 AMAh yes. The infamous £000s in service charges to change a fluorescent in a hospital and similar.
Yes, together with 30 + year crippling contacts.

PFI, Private Finance Initiative it was called.
[email protected]

JBR

I wonder whether the Conservatives are wondering exactly why they are bleeding voters every day!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Quote from: GHF on June 28, 2023, 09:58:37 AMThis lot has made such a mess money moneywise and if we factor in
what Truss did in her mad few weeks, they have got to go.

I've read she was not ' mad' at all and her ideas had some merit.  Not that I know anything about economics.

1955vintage

Economics is not complicated, just refer to Mr Micawber's saying."Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery."

Spend more than income and you have problems.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off