Here's an odd one....

Started by Alex, January 23, 2022, 03:17:52 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Out with my friend yesterday and she told me a friend of hers is buying a bungalow and moving to Wales.  She'd had a surveyor's report which said the house had radio activity in it.   This can't be possible and I thought maybe she was getting mixed up as she's Polish  :grin:  Anyone heard of this ?

klondike

Yes depends on the area. Google radon in homes. Government agency left some test pieces with my parents in this house. Essentially some sort of perspex they examine for particle tracks after it's been in place a few months.

zoony

You beat me to that one K.. :grin:  Yes Alex.. Radon is a radioactive element that is present in differing amounts in the granite of our islands..http://www.radonaction.co.uk/radon-maps/

Alex

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs !   :grin:  When someone mentions radio activity I think of Geiger counters, very interesting.  :upvote:

zoony

It's part of the 'background radiation' that they speak of..and it does register on the Geiger counter.. :grin:

klondike

There is some background radiation everywhere. There was a concern that it could pose a danger in some parts so there were national tests. Probably the thing zoony has linked to will say if there is still a concern. I think all the remedial action needed is to make sure the underfloor area is ventilated which it needs to be to avoid damp anyway.