Cash Only

Started by Alex, August 18, 2023, 09:00:54 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Have you encountered any cash only places ?  I did yesterday at Tim Horton Drive Through.  I just fancied an iced coffee so gave my order in at the first menu board and was told to drive round to collect my drink.  When I got there I took out my purse but it was a ' no cash' establishment ! 
I reluctantly got out my debit card, but couldn't help saying ' no wonder there's no queue '  I won't be going back, plus it was bloody £3.75 !!!!!!  :grin:

Michael Rolls

should have told them you didn't have a card!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

They wouldn't have given me my drink though  :grin:

GrannyMac

The cafe in our local park doesn't take cash. It did, but after a break in, no more. That's ok if you're aware, but annoying if not.  I still use cash for small purchases, but much less frequently now. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Thanks to the banks it's probably more expensive and inconvenient for a small business to take cash these days.

BTW you need to change your title to Card Only.

Scrumpy

I seldom carry any cash.. If a place is 'cash only'  they have lost my custom.. and many more customers I'm sure.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 19, 2023, 08:51:07 AMI seldom carry any cash.. If a place is 'cash only'  they have lost my custom.. and many more customers I'm sure..
Neither do I & I haven't done for a number of years.

In fact I don't even use a card as they're all on my phone but I do carry my cards in case the amount exceeds £100 which requires chip & PIN which can't be done with a phone.

However, not having cash can be problematic when the public loos charge 20p & only accept cash.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Ashy

I think this idea of doing away with cash is a slippery slope leading to a dark tyranny. Please be careful what you wish for.

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on August 19, 2023, 11:21:09 AMI think this idea of doing away with cash is a slippery slope leading to a dark tyranny. Please be careful what you wish for.
I certainly don't want to see cash discontinued.

My use of cards is because for me it's far easier & also because of the amount of shopping I do online, so I've contributed to the closure of Wilkos as well I suppose.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Most of us have I think. Wilko's closing will leave another gap in our local small shopping precinct.  The last vacancy was swallowed up by Gregg's, who already have a shop there, but have added a large cafe. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

The cost of our shopping nowadays would mean carrying large amounts of money..
Lose your purse and your money is gone.. Lose your card and you can have them cancelled..

Michael Rolls

good point - but cash is still needed under some circumstances, even though most of my shopping is on line.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I do agree.. My mate never uses her card.. She prefers paying in cash and I think people should have a choice.. 
 Maybe when businesses ask for 'cash only' it could be because of the charges the cards subject them to.. I know this has been the case a few years back when I have been denied paying with a card..
 Anyway , we need cash, for the little things in life..  Birthday gifts for the young grandchildren.. Children love to go into a shop to spend their birthday money.. Also it teaches them the value of money..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 19, 2023, 04:39:40 PMThe cost of our shopping nowadays would mean carrying large amounts of money..
Lose your purse and your money is gone.. Lose your card and you can have them cancelled..

That's my reason as well, plus I can't be arsed with checking my small change & walking about with a load of it in my pockets.
[email protected]

JBR

Although I agree that the banks should never remove access and use of cash, personally I use my credit card for most things these days.

It is very convenient to tap the card on a machine to pay for what I buy or use, but sooner or later something comes along which requires cash.  Our window cleaners, for example.

Cheques are another option, but having tried to cash a cheque received by Marge, and found the nearest bank we can use (the Post Office does cash some, but not ours) is several miles away, we decided to post the cheque off to them.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire