Another turning point

Started by Michael Rolls, February 01, 2024, 08:35:04 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

I needed a few bits from the Co-op, two miles away. It opens at seven so I went just after still dark, of course. It must be over a year since I last had cause to drive in the dark. I won't be doing it again. There was quite a bit of traffic and even normal dipped headlights were dazzling me, let alone these high powered ones. So that's it. No more night driving. I have advised those I might normally have offered to drive at night.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

No night driving for me either.. unless it's an emergency..
I don't think it is just an 'old person' thing .. I know a few younger people who do not like night driving..
  When driving into town I need to drive up a steepish hill.. just before reaching the top the lights of the oncoming traffic is blinding...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I still do very occasionally do but not if I can avoid it. I think it may be more a case of not doing it regulary rather than an eyesight issue.

Michael Rolls

I could still drive on an empty road - but when does one see an empty road? Can't remember when I last drove at night, but whereas years ago I had no problems - once drove 500 miles in the dark - for a couple of years now I have been conscious that my eyes tire quickly at night with oncoming traffic.
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I've never liked night driving on unlit roads, I hated going home on the motorway after work.  I don't think my night vision is great. I'll drive very locally (all streets are lit) after dark if I have to, but that's a very rare occurrence.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Since I became ill, I have avoided driving.  Consequently, when I did try to get back into it - with Marge keeping an eye on me - it began to come back to me.
We now tend to take it in turns and my confidence is returning.
However, a week and three days ago, I developed labyrinthitis and began to worry about driving for obvious reasons.  Still suffering from it, especially when first getting out of bed, so I won't drive now until I have got rid of it.
Yes, I have tried the Epley manoeuvre three times without success.  Perhaps I'll try again.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

JBR

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on February 01, 2024, 06:10:06 PMYou've had a tough time!
It isn't so bad, compared to what some people have to go through.
To be fair, I only get the dizziness now when I wake up, or get up, from lying down or lying with my head on its side.
Yes, I know the solution: well don't do it then!

muddy

I hate driving at night on roads I don't know and if it is raining at the same time I simply can't drive if by misfortune I am out at night in the rain I have been known to stop and wait until it passes .

Alex

I don't like driving at night either.  The dark is ok if I'm familiar with the roads but as Mike says, darkness plus rain is a no go.

dextrous63

Sorry to hear about your ailment JB.  Hopefully it'll pass in due course (are you on meds for it?)

It may well be that Allah, in his most gracious wisdom, has given you this sickness as a gift through his magnificence in order that you start the transitioning process and wear a burqa hood whilst driving.  This would mean you would only have to look straight ahead, ignore the concept of peripheral vision, and not give a flying fig about anyone else.  You may want to seal the deal by purchasing an Audi.

alhamd lilah rabi alealamin

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on February 02, 2024, 09:17:04 AMSorry to hear about your ailment JB.  Hopefully it'll pass in due course (are you on meds for it?)

It may well be that Allah, in his most gracious wisdom, has given you this sickness as a gift through his magnificence in order that you start the transitioning process and wear a burqa hood whilst driving.  This would mean you would only have to look straight ahead, ignore the concept of peripheral vision, and not give a flying fig about anyone else.  You may want to seal the deal by purchasing an Audi.

alhamd lilah rabi alealamin

Thanks Dex.
Yes, unless this thing goes away of its own accord pretty soon, I may have to convert.
Actually, I already have a thobe and ghuttra, used in the past for fancy dress purposes, so when the predicted take-over comes about (and if I'm still alive) I should be quite safe hopefully.