So is PF fixed?

Started by klondike, December 30, 2021, 07:52:04 AM

« previous - next »

hugh

Just been and given it a try, and had no problem. Hugh
Happy Golfer

klondike

Looks like the outages are fixed. I don't buy the networking problem I think it far more likely that it was put on free hosting and has been switched back to paid.  Free hosting should in theory be ok as the demands are low - running the forum on my Raspberry Pi alongside all my personal stuff doesn't stress it. But the hosting proved to be very unreliable.

I have used free hosting for my personal stuff and got fed up with a similar problem. At one time I had my stuff on two free hosters so when one was down I could use the other. You can't do that with a forum though as it needs to be in sync. Running the database server on one and the webserver on another just doubles the odds of something being down.

The reason it wasn't fixed still seems to me to be because Chris pays very little attention to the forum and only paid attention when he belatedly found I'd set this clone up. Obviously I may be wrong in all of that.

zoony

It sounds bang on to me..

Michael Rolls

got in three times in the last couple of hours or so - no problem
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on December 30, 2021, 07:05:09 PM
Looks like the outages are fixed. I don't buy the networking problem I think it far more likely that it was put on free hosting and has been switched back to paid.  Free hosting should in theory be ok as the demands are low - running the forum on my Raspberry Pi alongside all my personal stuff doesn't stress it. But the hosting proved to be very unreliable.

I have used free hosting for my personal stuff and got fed up with a similar problem. At one time I had my stuff on two free hosters so when one was down I could use the other. You can't do that with a forum though as it needs to be in sync. Running the database server on one and the webserver on another just doubles the odds of something being down.

The reason it wasn't fixed still seems to me to be because Chris pays very little attention to the forum and only paid attention when he belatedly found I'd set this clone up. Obviously I may be wrong in all of that.

You're spot on as I also thought the network problem was a load of garbage.

The Cloudfare 522 reports showed traffic getting through but timed out by the host server which isn't a network issue, it's a host server issue as you say.

Chris has said that he's a busy family man with teenage children so I imagine his time is spent between work & home life, which is fair enough, but which shows he hasn't the necessary time to keep on top of PF & my view is that he'll always be fire-fighting problems.

I'm disappointed by the way that he's tried to discredit you when he should have been thanking you.

As I've said before, he's like the playground kid who owns the bat & ball & insists that the game is played to his rules.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

He does own the pitch too  :grin:

It could have been a dodgy router within the host data centre but they don't go up and down at random.

My theory is still free hosting and the unscrupulous hoster does this deliberatley to push free clients to paid hosting. Given there was no delay it was certainly the same host. It may even be the same server as the response times and page generation times being shown were good - pretty much on a par with my Raspberry Pi  :grin:

If it is a dodgy hoster the next step will probably be long response times to push for a more expensive hosting package. Not that Chris would notice and I've put a password on my monitor now as I suspect he was using it.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on December 31, 2021, 09:37:24 AM
He does own the pitch too  :grin:

It could have been a dodgy router within the host data centre but they don't go up and down at random.

My theory is still free hosting and the unscrupulous hoster does this deliberatley to push free clients to paid hosting. Given there was no delay it was certainly the same host. It may even be the same server as the response times and page generation times being shown were good - pretty much on a par with my Raspberry Pi  :grin:

If it is a dodgy hoster the next step will probably be long response times to push for a more expensive hosting package. Not that Chris would notice and I've put a password on my monitor now as I suspect he was using it.

And you have the added satisfaction of sending him a rasberry when you reply. Lol  :smiley:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Alex

How can Chris use your monitor ?  idiots answer please klondike  :cool:

Can you explain how he was able to read what's on here, he hasn't registered has he, plus when I Googled Pensioners Forum all I got was the original, plus various PF all over the UK.

klondike

I posted the url to it on PF. It contained a link to this forum. Recruiting poster you might say.

This forum like just about every other forum on the internet doesn't require registration to read only to post.

Alex

Quote from: klondike on December 31, 2021, 12:11:54 PM
I posted the url to it on PF. It contained a link to this forum. Recruiting poster you might say.

This forum like just about every other forum on the internet doesn't require registration to read only to post.

Oh I must have missed that, didn't know you'd posted a link.

klondike

Don't think there were any sign ups from it,

The link didn't get put inside it till fairly recently but I knocked up the monitor soon after the problems started and posted links to it in a number of threads moaning about outages.
As new threads kept appearing I just did a copy paste of the actual outages because few actually click links.
Later after this forum was set up and I was persuaded that it was time to recruit I put the link in and posted it a couple of more times.

Incidentally...
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error from 2021-12-31 01:36 to 01:37 - down for 1 minutes
1 outages with a total downtime of 1 minutes

I doubt anybody was inconvenienced at that time though and none of the old links will work over there anyway as apparently digitalham is now a profanity  :smiley:

Michael Rolls

To be honest, leaving the mechanics aside, I am very disappointed in Chris' behaviour, which seems both petulant and childish. Any thread containing honest comment or question is promptly locked. I asked him who had been poached - no answer. I emailed him at length explain my misgivings - no answer.
To be honest, if it wasn't because I enjoy the non-Chris dominated threads, I would be long gone
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Also I don't have to resort to third party sites (postimages) to post photo's anymore. But for the kindness of 'Raven' in this connection, I was left struggling. One day on PF.co it worked the next with no changes (or announcements) it didn't. Here, pictures work first time on upload and don't have to be shrunk, but then still rejected as "the upload box was full". I find the 512k limit at this place, both feasible to adapt and friendly to operate. And no more tiresome and unfathomable 'spacings' and 'font/size' edits on 'preview' wysiwyg I think it was called 40 years ago. Thank you klon.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

You're welcome Cass. Thanks for the kind words.