Automatic information of response?

Started by JBR, October 28, 2023, 05:30:32 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Is there some facility on this forum whereby I am informed automatically if a reply is posted on a thread I have contributed to?
The 'Mother Ship' seems to do that, but I have to come here and search for myself!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Sorry but the forum only uses a freebie email account that limits the number of messages sent so that feature is disabled.

Alex

Do we need to delete all old messages Klondy ?

JBR

Quote from: klondike on October 28, 2023, 07:19:51 PMSorry but the forum only uses a freebie email account that limits the number of messages sent so that feature is disabled.
Thanks for letting me know.
I always create a shortcut to every thread I comment on, so I can manage with that.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

On an unrelated topic, one of the useful things on a.n. other site was the like button.  Not for agreeing/disagreeing, but more for an acknowledgment that someone's read a post but can't be arsed to reply.

Is this a feature on this place?

Just asking, and deffo not pushing for it.

klondike

Quote from: Alex on October 28, 2023, 08:34:13 PMDo we need to delete all old messages Klondy ?
No. It's email messages not post messages or PMs. They take some disk space but there is plenty of that available.

The question is about getting an email if somebody replies to one of the threads you posted in or subscribed to. I didn't enable the option.

The problem with emails these days is that if they are not from a sender that passes lots of hoops they will just end up in the email client spam folder. Think of the number of sites that mention checking your spam folder. The forum code could easily send email but they'd never arrive these days thanks to mass spammers being blocked so you have to use a commercial email sender. The only way to get that on the cheap is from some that let you send a few each month free and that's the option I took. It needs to send some for lost passwords (the number of those surprised me) and to register new members (the number of those is unfortunatelly small).

The forum uses SMTP2GO - https://www.smtp2go.com

October 28, 2023, 10:38:10 PM
Quote from: dextrous63 on October 28, 2023, 10:24:42 PMOn an unrelated topic, one of the useful things on a.n. other site was the like button.  Not for agreeing/disagreeing, but more for an acknowledgment that someone's read a post but can't be arsed to reply.

Is this a feature on this place?

Just asking, and deffo not pushing for it.
Yeah it's an option but I didn't implement it. If you or anybody else wants it set up a poll - you know where - and if a majority want it when the poll closes - allow a week at least - I'll install the mod (I think its a mod). As you can probably guess I didn't like the idea or I'd have bunged it in. There are lots of mods for Facebook sort of things and I didn't add any of them.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=mods

Alex

I'm glad we don't get e-mails for every post we're following, on other sites I've usually switched it off !  I find if you click on 'Unread Posts' that brings you up to date with all that's been posted since your last visit. Is that what everyone does  ?

klondike

I do. Unread topics is similar but includes ignored boards. I still get Happy Birthday emails from boards I haven't visited in ages.