Parking App

Started by dextrous63, October 01, 2023, 09:21:23 AM

« previous - next »

dextrous63

What is this App that Rishi is bleating on about regarding parking?

Experience tells us that when the gov gets involved in technology, it tends to go awry largely through outsourcing to some buddies who make rather a lot of money out of it even though it doesn't work very well.

On a related theme, DVLA have still not managed to make digital driving licenses available online, which one could store on your phone's wallet.  Hardly the hardest thing in the world, surely.  After all, supermarkets are able to create this sort of thing which provides updates to one's bonus "points" balances within a few short minutes.  DVLA have been trying to sort this for years.

Presumably the speed at which Rishi's parking payment app gets developed will be of similar ridiculous lead time.

Michael Rolls

what worries me is car park owners doing away with cash payment. Not everybody has a smart phone. Oh, and some who do such a phone, such as myself, don't trust doing anything regarding money with it
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

What is this App that Rishi is bleating on about regarding parking?

There are several and you have to use the one the car park you are in requires. It's a way of paying for parking without buying tickets and has been around for some time now. Assuming that is what he was talking about as I haven't read anything about it yet.

Alex

No idea what this is, car parks I've used have choice of coins or card.

klondike

Several listed. One of them is on my phone (Parking Ops) so I must have used it at some point or at least installed it. Nowhere near me uses it - it says nearest to me is St. Neots.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=parking&c=apps

Diasi

I have the Evology (used to be Good2Go) parking app, as it's used by Lincoln Count Hospital, which means that I can drive in & out without having to do anything.

I just get a message sent to my phone informing me of the time I was parked & the cost.

I also have the Flowbird parking app for Scunthorpe Hospital but for some reason it never worked & I had to pay at a pay station each time.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

Am I right in thinking you'd have to have on line banking, or at least debit/ credit card details on your phone  for this ?

klondike

You'd have to trust the provider as that's who has the details of the payment method. No different from shopping online.

Alex

I wouldn't shop online using my phone

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on October 01, 2023, 10:28:07 AMAm I right in thinking you'd have to have on line banking, or at least debit/ credit card details on your phone  for this ?
I have a credit card linked to my account.

I wish all car parks were like this.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

All the phone does is access the website. I don't use phones to buy online either but that's mostly down to sausage fingers. The risk is no different from using a PC. Unless you fail to adequately secure your phone of course so anybody getting hold of it can buy stuff.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on October 01, 2023, 10:35:31 AMAll the phone does is access the website. I don't use phones to buy online either but that's mostly down to sausage fingers. The risk is no different from using a PC. Unless you fail to adequately secure your phone of course so anybody getting hold of it can buy stuff.
I set up my Evology parking account via my laptop, I never use my phone for online shopping.

Anyone with a dumb phone or even no phone can still have an Evology parking account since the system uses ANPR & the credit / debit card stored on their system.
[email protected]

klondike

Restricts the number of car parks to those with cameras then. Others register the number and period bought so the wardens can check if parking was paid for. I can't believe that they check every car as that would take a lot of time. I think it's more likely that they just use sampling.

The Kettering hospital near me uses cameras and you pay the amount charged by card before leaving.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on October 01, 2023, 11:02:30 AMRestricts the number of car parks to those with cameras then. Others register the number and period bought so the wardens can check if parking was paid for. I can't believe that they check every car as that would take a lot of time. I think it's more likely that they just use sampling.

The Kettering hospital near me uses cameras and you pay the amount charged by card before leaving.
Lincoln County Hospital has pay stations but the thought of queuing 10 minutes in a queue of ditherers doesn't appeal to me, especially when the wait in the queue takes you over into the next billing period.
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Alex on October 01, 2023, 10:32:43 AMI wouldn't shop online using my phone
Nor me - wouldn't dream of it
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]