More heatwave hysteria

Started by Michael Rolls, July 18, 2022, 06:19:25 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

After the great and the good have warned that 'thousands' will die in the heat wave (well, depending on how long it lasts, that could well be true - after all on average around 10,000 people die a week in the UK) - but it doesn't mean that it is because of the heat.
A study by the Lancet, commented on in yesterday's paper, determined that for the period 2000-2019, annual excess deaths associated with heat numbered 791. During the same period the excess deaths where cold was a factor was 60,500.
On balance a warmer climate would seem to be an advantage rather than a threat
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

didn't make it clear - that 60.500 is per year, not total
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/07/17/eighty-times-more-excess-deaths-associated-with-cold-each-year-than-heat/

Amid all the hysteria about next week's extreme temperatures – which could climb to 41°, according to the Met Office – it's worth bearing in mind that many, many more excess deaths in England and Wales are associated with cold each year than with heat. According to a recent study in the Lancet Planetary Health, between 2000 and 2019, there were an average of 65,000 excess deaths per year in England and Wales associated with cold, but fewer than 800 a year associated with heat. In other words, roughly 80 times more deaths per year are associated with cold than heat.

Needless to say, the report's authors blame these excess deaths on 'climate change' in general and have nothing to say about the likelihood of the 65,000 figure increasing next winter as a result of rising energy bills.

The researchers analysed 10.7 million deaths that occurred in England and Wales between 2000 and 2019 across over 37,473 small areas that include around 1,600 residents, also known as lower super output areas (LSOAs). They then linked these data with high-resolution gridded temperature maps and potential drivers of vulnerability to heat and cold, including demographic and socio-economic factors, health and disability, housing and neighbourhood, landscape, and climatological characteristics. This allowed the researchers to characterise differences across small areas and map variation in temperature-related mortality risks across the two countries.

Dr Pierre Masselot, Research Fellow in in Environmental Epidemiology and Statistics at LSHTM and co-author of the study, said: "The results come at a critical time as countries and communities face increasing health impacts due to climate change and need to find effective ways to adapt to changing temperatures. The analytical framework also provides a flexible tool that can be adapted for future studies which aim to model temperature-related risks and impacts at small-area level under different climate change scenarios."

The authors emphasised that, while the research showed that excess mortality attributed to cold was significantly higher than that attributed to heat, these results should be interpreted with caution as more cold than hot days were recorded throughout the year. Despite this, they highlighted that cold-related mortality is evidently a considerable health burden, particularly in deprived areas, and should be addressed with targeted public health interventions.

Nevertheless, any un-biased person reading this report cannot help but conclude that the rising cost of utility bills caused, in part, by the Government's pursuit of 'net zero' will result in far more deaths than next week's heat wave.

If you really care about reducing deaths due to extreme temperatures, shouldn't you focus your energies on getting the Government to scrap its 'net zero' target, lift the ban on fracking and start investing billions in nuclear, instead of disrupting traffic and sporting events?

You can read the Lancet Planetary Health study here.

Michael Rolls

common sense suggestion - which means that it will be ignored.
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 18, 2022, 08:57:29 AMcommon sense suggestion - which means that it will be ignored.

Hang on, we're getting a new PM so energy bills & the cost-of-living will plummet, net-zero emmissions will be achieved at no cost & electric cars will cost no more than the equivalent petrol car etc.

Happy days are ahead.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Didn;
Quote from: Diasi on July 18, 2022, 09:05:23 AMelectric cars will cost no more than the equivalent petrol car etc.

Didn't Keir say everybody on Tax Credits would be getting one free? Or was that Boris along with council houses being converted to private and the mortgages paid for by benefits? I do get so confused now I've ditched my TV licence and no longer get the BBC giving me the news.

Flying Bomb

Global warming....my two globes in the lower region
 are warming up.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on July 18, 2022, 09:17:19 AMDidn;Didn't Keir say everybody on Tax Credits would be getting one free? Or was that Boris along with council houses being converted to private and the mortgages paid for by benefits? I do get so confused now I've ditched my TV licence and no longer get the BBC giving me the news.

I think Boris is wanting building societies to treat benefits as income for mortgage purposes, which seems commonsense to me as income is income from whatever the source is.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I guess benefits are more secure than most zero contract jobs. After all unlike employers governments just seem to print more money if they run short. Corbyn clearly told the Tories where his money tree was planted and they have kept producing the bullshit it needs for fertiliser.

The lockdown bullshit produced a huge harvest of cash for distribution.

Diasi

As regards the heatwave, I can't see any problem with 40c, I certainly won't slip & break my hip as I could do at -10c.

Anyway how's this for stupid, I was looking at an airconditioner & the instructions said the cooling function shouldn't be used at ambient temperatures above 36c, to prevent damage to the unit.

Lol, you couldn't make it up!!!!!
[email protected]

klondike

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Diasi on July 18, 2022, 09:05:23 AMHang on, we're getting a new PM so energy bills & the cost-of-living will plummet, net-zero emmissions will be achieved at no cost & electric cars will cost no more than the equivalent petrol car etc.

Happy days are ahead.
Thank heaven for that! Happy days are (nearly) here again!
Mike  :yay:  :yay:

July 18, 2022, 10:28:32 AM
Quote from: Diasi on July 18, 2022, 10:05:13 AMAs regards the heatwave, I can't see any problem with 40c, I certainly won't slip & break my hip as I could do at -10c.

Anyway how's this for stupid, I was looking at an airconditioner & the instructions said the cooling function shouldn't be used at ambient temperatures above 36c, to prevent damage to the unit.

Lol, you couldn't make it up!!!!!
Bleedinellfire! What planet are they on?
Mike
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I've been to the pool in the leisure centre this morning, bliss. I'm at home now, cold drink and sandwich, feet up this pm. I wish I was in Scotland, preferably on the East Coast, its about 23c there.  Hot enough for me where Mike and Raven are I bet.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

It's hotter than usual for here, but I don't know what the temp is just now. When I came out of the pool at 8.30am the car guage said 22, but it's hotter than that now.

Raven

Went out to the car to see the gauge, it's like a blast from the oven out there. Guage is now at 31.😫FB_IMG_1658147340896.jpg