Transwomen

Started by Sheila, May 24, 2022, 07:22:53 AM

« previous - next »

Sheila

I was reading that transwomen are having problems due to the shortage of HRT.  It started me thinking.

I've had my HRT removed by the GP, against my wishes and wonder if preference is given to transwomen to avoid their 'manly' bits recovering.

Also, do they have their operations and treatment on the NHS?  If so, given the present circumstances, I don't think that would be right.

I just googled my own question and it is costing the NHS millions of pounds. 

klondike

The standard reason given is that HRT is reckoned to increase the risk of breast cancer and the time it is prescribed is limited. I doubt that the numbers of trans women would make much of a difference to be honest.

Sheila

That's out of date now klondike as research has shown that the increased risk of breast cancer is extremely low but there are a lot of advantages such as bone strength etc.   

klondike

My understanding too but they still stick with the old reasons I think. What reason were you given?

Raven

I only used HRT for 2 days, it knocked me for six and I felt really ill. Doc took me straight off it. I used Black Cohosh from the Health Store for a while to help with the hot flushes, but apart from that I had nothing.

GrannyMac

I had patches for years, started in my forties. I was at risk of osteoporosis, it worked well for me. My GP stopped prescribing it for me in my early 60s.  I was lucky I had few symptoms.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Sheila

Quote from: klondike on May 24, 2022, 08:15:24 AM
My understanding too but they still stick with the old reasons I think. What reason were you given?

I haven't managed to actually speak to a GP even on the phone.  They just didn't put it on the prescription and when I queried it the pharmacy said the surgery had stopped it.

I'll give it a try without but my loving husband says it is like sleeping with a slug.

klondike

That is pretty disgusting behaviour by your GP.

Sheila

When I went to our dentist last year, he knew I had been quite ill, pulled up his stool close to me and checked I was ok.  He said that he didn't think the GPs should be paid as they were not seeing patients.

I needed a medication review a few weeks ago and told the receptionist why I wanted the review to be with a particular GP (she is the only one who understands the unusual problem I had/have with my lungs).

A trainee GP phoned a few hours early and didn't know why he was phoning.  It was useless.

Alex

I think your Dentist had the right idea Sheila.  GPs are paid an amount for every patient on their books I believe, even if they're not seeing them.

klondike

I haven't actually seen a GP since before covid. Medicine reviews were basically a blood test taken by a nurse. I did have a couple of Livi app video appointments which worked well for me - got an appointment and operation from one and some eye drops on repeat that work well from the other.

I need a form completing by the doctor for which they will charge. I put it in before Easter and it still isn't done. I think I will be changing my surgery as have heard good things about a different one.

GrannyMac

Quote from: Sheila on May 24, 2022, 11:35:37 AM
When I went to our dentist last year, he knew I had been quite ill, pulled up his stool close to me and checked I was ok.  He said that he didn't think the GPs should be paid as they were not seeing patients.

I needed a medication review a few weeks ago and told the receptionist why I wanted the review to be with a particular GP (she is the only one who understands the unusual problem I had/have with my lungs).

A trainee GP phoned a few hours early and didn't know why he was phoning.  It was useless.

As we've talked about before, I had a diagnosis of bronchiectasis some years ago. The GP with the nous to refer me to the chest clinic after various misdiagnoses then retired. The other GP who knew exactly which antibiotics to prescribe has also retired. I've little faith in the one who has now been there longest who said it was probably an allergic reaction to our cat!

Fortunately I've had little trouble for a good while, but when it hits it can be quite severe.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Jacqueline

There is no such thing as a transwoman - they are MEN - female impersonators - obviously with mental health issues - who have been pumped full of female hormones, may have or not had their bits chopped off and dress in women's clothes.

zoony

Jacq, it works both ways you know.. Women do become men surgically/chemically/hormonally..

Cassandra

Quote from: Jacqueline on May 24, 2022, 08:14:08 PM
There is no such thing as a transwoman - they are MEN - female impersonators - obviously with mental health issues - who have been pumped full of female hormones, may have or not had their bits chopped off and dress in women's clothes.

Of course they're women, just look at their pronouns :wink:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...