recycling,

Started by alfred, May 06, 2022, 09:07:19 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Recently i read of glass milk bottles being revived , as they were in the past , and thinking about it  it made sense being that  glass milk bottles could be sterilised and refilled saving a lot of cartons ,that end up more than likely in a land fill,

it seems back in the old days people unknowingly were recycling a lot of items , and news paper then was used to light coal fires, whilst some used to clean windows, and waste food went to the local piggery's 

even used clothes get recycled in a way as many people buy clothes from charity shops . much of which is reused   or bought over, and over again,

Q; can you remember what else was reused, or recycled then,

klondike

I fear we have moved towards becoming a throwaway society. Maybe the coming hard times will reverse that a little.

Alex

I can't remember anything being recycled, we didn't seem to have as much waste back in the day.

Looking back to my childhood I do remember my Mum using dripping and gave it to my Dad on toast !!!  yuk I can still smell it, along with Bubble & Squeak another yuk.   :grin:

Michael Rolls

bubble and squeak - yuck. Dripping on toast - yum, yum (although it depended on the dripping)
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

-Oy-

We still have milk delivered in glass bottles - by a Milkman.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Michael Rolls

Quote from: -Oy- on May 06, 2022, 03:02:08 PM
Good Lord! Where do you life? Time Warp on Sea?
Mike 😁😁😁
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

zoony

Quote from: -Oy- on May 06, 2022, 03:02:08 PM

It's a USP nowadays and used to advertise the service as well. Too expensive for my liking. I get through a 4 pinter from the supermarket in about 4/5 days at a cost of £1.50-ish. A pinta delivered to my door daily for 5 days works out much more expensive.

Scrumpy

They now offer wine in cardboard bottles..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Or bottles in brown paper bags for take outs...