Overseas Students

Started by Alex, May 22, 2023, 09:19:41 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

If anyone from UK is lucky enough to go and study in Europe, where they often have lower university fees, they are not allowed to take their Mum & Dad with them.   Come to UK however and you can bring your great Aunt with you too if she's a dependent.  Last year 135,788 people came here using a relative's student visa.

Not anymore !  Well done Suella.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/21/new-immigration-rules-ban-foreign-students-from-bringing-family-to-uk-18820656/?ITO=msn

Michael Rolls

I should bloody well think so -it was always totally ridiculous
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Students can have family members join them in other countries. Germany and Italy for starters. Without looking at every other country's immigration policy in detail and comparing them to the UK's (which most people won't) I wonder if this is just a headline grabber to deflect from actual numbers of immigrants?  Family members of international students in the UK tend to be restricted to husbands/wives and children.  I haven't seen anything on the UK application guidance about bringing other family members.   Feel free to point me in the right direction.

The government should be clear in informing the voters about not only the numbers of immigrants, but their categories, ie skilled worker, student, asylum seeker, refugee.   How many failed asylum seekers have been ejected, how many are still here.

Just one example: https://www.studying-in-germany.org/bringing-your-family-to-germany-on-a-student-visa/#which-family-members-can-apply-for-a-german-family-reunion-visa
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 23, 2023, 07:41:04 AMStudents can have family members join them in other countries. Germany and Italy for starters. Without looking at every other country's immigration policy in detail and comparing them to the UK's (which most people won't) I wonder if this is just a headline grabber to deflect from actual numbers of immigrants?  Family members of international students in the UK tend to be restricted to husbands/wives and children.  I haven't seen anything on the UK application guidance about bringing other family members.  Feel free to point me in the right direction.

The government should be clear in informing the voters about not only the numbers of immigrants, but their categories, ie skilled worker, student, asylum seeker, refugee.  How many failed asylum seekers have been ejected, how many are still here.

Just one example: https://www.studying-in-germany.org/bringing-your-family-to-germany-on-a-student-visa/#which-family-members-can-apply-for-a-german-family-reunion-visa
Yes, but look at the 'pre-conditions'.  Do we specify all of those... or, indeed, any?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

klondike

I haven't read the links but I'm sure I heard mentioned that they must be self supporting. They will still be increasing the load on infrastructure such as roads, policing, sewage etc. etc. though. As they aren't supposed to be working they won't be shelling out much if any tax to pay for that.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Of course we don't know when or if these students and their families go home.  In Germany you have to de-register that is if you want to be allowed back in the country, or worse you could be liable for tax !!! :grin:   
Here the 'students' can just disappear and we're non the wiser.

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 23, 2023, 12:13:30 PMWe specify quite a few conditions for students.

https://www.gov.uk/student-visa/family-members
Well just because other countries are twats for allowing so-called students, many of whom attend bogus colleges, to bring family members, it doesn't mean the UK should be a twat.

Did your kids take you to the place they went to university?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

The problem with overstaying is they have no right to work. International students pay a lot for a UK degree, seems pointless if all they can do is work in a car wash or similar. Reputable employers won't want to be fined (up to £20k) or sent to prison for not doing the checks.

Overstayers can't claim benefits either.

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 23, 2023, 07:49:48 PMThe problem with overstaying is they have no right to work. International students pay a lot for a UK degree, seems pointless if all they can do is work in a car wash or similar. Reputable employers won't want to be fined (up to £20k) or sent to prison for not doing the checks.

Overstayers can't claim benefits either.
That's assuming they go to a reputable college in the first place.

https://tinyurl.com/47tezpt6
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Diasi on May 23, 2023, 07:47:50 PMWell just because other countries are twats for allowing so-called students, many of whom attend bogus colleges, to bring family members, it doesn't mean the UK should be a twat.

Did your kids take you to the place they went to university?
No, of course not. But the family members of students (according to the application form) are spouses and children.   I may have missed the bit where they can apply to bring their granny, but I'm prepared to be shown it.

May 23, 2023, 08:07:48 PM
Quote from: Diasi on May 23, 2023, 07:51:37 PMThat's assuming they go to a reputable college in the first place.

https://tinyurl.com/47tezpt6
A lot of international students lost money when the colleges were closed down.  Scammers everywhere.  

Alex

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 23, 2023, 07:53:05 PMNo, of course not. But the family members of students (according to the application form) are spouses and children.   I may have missed the bit where they can apply to bring their granny, but I'm prepared to be shown it.

May 23, 2023, 08:07:48 PMA lot of international students lost money when the colleges were closed down.  Scammers everywhere. 

I believe students can bring their parents or other relatives who are dependents by the Adult Dependent Relative visa, failing that there are 2 or 3 other possibilities.

"The ADR route is to allow an individual with ongoing care needs to live with a close relative in the UK, provided the applicant can show, as a result of either age, illness or disability, that they require a level of long-term personal care that can only be reasonably and adequately provided in the UK by their sponsor  "

I Googled it !

klondike

Whatever the relationships and needs are there are a lot of them. I would say that if a potential student has dependents they should stay in their home country and look after them there.

Letting these people in who it seems earn nothing here so pay no taxes just  stresses our infrastructure and the only beneficiaries appear to be the universities.

GrannyMac

The visa system is complicated, but my understanding is that only those immigrants with settled status/citizenship can bring their Adult Dependent Relatives. They have to prove they can support these dependents.  People on student visas don't have the necessary status.