Are we closer to the French than we thought?

Started by klondike, July 05, 2023, 09:26:29 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

There is the chilling thought that we may have to face mass rioting as they are right now for one thing then I read this on Breitbart. The article is longer than I've posted here - I have just cherry picked the bit that caught my eye and made me think - #metoo

New French Revolution? Majority Support Ending 'Fifth Republic' as Macron Fails to Maintain Order

Two-thirds of the people of France would support the end of the Fifth Republic, as the government of President Emmanuel Macron continues to fail to restore social order in the country.

With the departure of the United Kingdom, France currently stands alone in the European Union as the only country to not have some form of proportional representation, using a system that makes it more difficult for parties outside of the established mainstream to wield parliamentary power. This appears to have had the effect of leaving millions of French men and women feeling as though their voices are ignored by the ruling elite.

The entrenched powers in Paris have pointed to the political instability that can come with proportional representation, as was the case during the Fourth Republic of France between 1946 and 1958, during which time there were a staggering 20 different governments in just three legislative terms.

It could be argued that the current system has led to more political instability — particularly over the past decade — in which the public has repeatedly felt compelled to take to the streets in order to have any meaningful impact on government policy.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/07/04/new-french-revolution-majority-support-ending-fifth-republic-as-macron-fails-to-maintain-order/

dextrous63

Too blooming right the UK electorate/public think they aren't listened to, and that there is scant major alternatives available to them.  Some things eventually push to breaking point such as the poll tax.  I honestly think that it'll not be long before the illegal immigration nonsense causes something to snap.

Our political classes need to stop pussy footing around and get it sorted.

Raven

This is the way to deal with Westmonster, and untill we say no to being walked over it will carry on. :nooo:

GrannyMac

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 05, 2023, 09:36:19 AMToo blooming right the UK electorate/public think they aren't listened to, and that there is scant major alternatives available to them.  Some things eventually push to breaking point such as the poll tax.  I honestly think that it'll not be long before the illegal immigration nonsense causes something to snap.

Our political classes need to stop pussy footing around and get it sorted.
And yet so many of us were in favour of the poll tax!  It certainly had some fairer elements than the current system, or rates. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Those complaining about poll tax were those who were paying nothing before.

In theory it should have split the local tax burden. In practice the councils milked it. I was living in a fairly high band house at the time. My own plus my wife's poll tax came within a few quid of the previous rates and my son got collared too - a 50% increas in revenue from that property. I doubt I was a one off.

Michael Rolls

first wife and I - two reasonable salaries. Family immediately opposite - five earners. Next door to us an elderly widow. All three properties 1930s semis. All paid the same rates - how can that be fair?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]