Truss Resigns

Started by Alex, October 14, 2022, 07:44:09 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Alex on October 16, 2022, 08:36:02 PMHad to look that one up  !  :yay:
they're very useful for failed politicians - but might get over-crowded with this lot!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Ashy

Looking back at the sixties and seventies, many people were keen to join the common market, because they had taken their car to France and found petrol very cheap and wine very cheap, and they naturally assumed that ours would soon be the same. By the time of the referendum in 1975 those hopes were still alive to some extent.  In 2016 we were still waiting, and if we elect a Labour government (I don't think they have a good chance really) we'll still be waiting for cheaper gas bills and higher pensions. Fill in any date here because it will not happen.

Diasi

I think a lot of people who've been saying Liz Truss should go, may rue the day after April 2023 when the energy support scheme gets scrapped, income tax doesn't come down & public spending is cut.

Also, the rich will be putting measures in place to squirrel money away so won't be paying the tax they may well have paid if the tax rates had come down.

So well done all of you!
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

I think that Truss' overall take is right - but she and what's his name made a right rubbish of trying to sell the message.
Just to take one point at random - reducing corporation tax is the RIGHT way to go - we need to encourage foreign investment it's vital.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

Quote from: Michael Rolls on October 17, 2022, 12:59:24 PMI think that Truss' overall take is right - but she and what's his name made a right rubbish of trying to sell the message.
Just to take one point at random - reducing corporation tax is the RIGHT way to go - we need to encourage foreign investment it's vital.
Mike
We probably do, but I don't want foreign anything we have more than enough.

Diasi

Quote from: Jacqueline on October 19, 2022, 06:10:40 PMWe probably do, but I don't want foreign anything we have more than enough.
Mike Rolls doesn't mean foreign immigrants, he means foreign finance which is what our financial sector needs as it brings huge wealth into the country.

If it doesn't come here it'll go to Germany. 
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Jacqueline

Quote from: Diasi on October 19, 2022, 08:47:01 PMMike Rolls doesn't mean foreign immigrants, he means foreign finance which is what our financial sector needs as it brings huge wealth into the country.

If it doesn't come here it'll go to Germany.
I know he doesn't mean immigrants, but foreign finance spells foreign influence haven't we got enough of that.

Diasi

Quote from: Jacqueline on October 19, 2022, 08:51:26 PMI know he doesn't mean immigrants, but foreign finance spells foreign influence haven't we got enough of that.
Investment won't mean foreign influence, they invest in places where they get the best return on their dosh.

Liz Truss just wants to make London more attractive than Frankfurt.
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Ashy on October 17, 2022, 07:23:52 AMLooking back at the sixties and seventies, many people were keen to join the common market, because they had taken their car to France and found petrol very cheap and wine very cheap, and they naturally assumed that ours would soon be the same. By the time of the referendum in 1975 those hopes were still alive to some extent.  In 2016 we were still waiting, and if we elect a Labour government (I don't think they have a good chance really) we'll still be waiting for cheaper gas bills and higher pensions. Fill in any date here because it will not happen.

YouGov poll yesterday showed Labour winning 507 seats if the Election were tomorrow?
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

It seems a 'Trade deal' nowadays incorporates visas, how long has that been going on I wonder. 

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on October 20, 2022, 12:16:47 AMIt seems a 'Trade deal' nowadays incorporates visas, how long has that been going on I wonder. 
Well trade deals with India certainly do, which is why Sunak was desperate to become PM.
[email protected]

Ashy

Quote from: Cassandra on October 19, 2022, 09:16:04 PMYouGov poll yesterday showed Labour winning 507 seats if the Election were tomorrow?
Although I doubt if the motley party is that well thought of, publishing polls like this probably ensures that there won't be an election until the tide turns.

Diasi

Quote from: Cassandra on October 19, 2022, 09:16:04 PMYouGov poll yesterday showed Labour winning 507 seats if the Election were tomorrow?
I can see that being a distinct possibility if a General Election is held soon.

Yesterday I was on the verge of cancelling my Tory Party membership but I've had time to give it some non-emotional consideration & I haven't.

Had I been in a polling booth yesterday I could easily have spoilt my ballot paper by which time any reconsideration would be too late.
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Ashy on October 20, 2022, 09:24:12 AMAlthough I doubt if the motley party is that well thought of, publishing polls like this probably ensures that there won't be an election until the tide turns.

They have as much chance of turning tides as Canute did imo. They are in total disarray.

Ashy

Truss is making a public  statement.

She's had enough of it already.