Another EV problem

Started by Michael Rolls, December 30, 2022, 12:43:21 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Another EV problem which never crossed my mind.
Heavy rain has melted all the snow and several local lanes are flooded. Angie, my cleaning lady came across two drivers who's optimism exceeded their common sense. White van stuck in the water with stalled (and possibly damaged) engine. EV a total basket case - the water had shorted out the motor and much else besides, by all accounts.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

I'm always wary of driving through flood water, I know I have a car that should be able to do just that, BUT......

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on December 30, 2022, 12:43:21 PMAnother EV problem which never crossed my mind.
Heavy rain has melted all the snow and several local lanes are flooded. Angie, my cleaning lady came across two drivers who's optimism exceeded their common sense. White van stuck in the water with stalled (and possibly damaged) engine. EV a total basket case - the water had shorted out the motor and much else besides, by all accounts.
White van £1,000 for a new engine.

EV £tens of thousands, if not a write-off.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I often wonder about the safety of the battery packs. After all every parcel with even a tiny Li-ion battery in it has a warning sign that is usually bigger than the device. OK cars have petrol or diesel tanks but it is still something I've not seen discussed.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on December 30, 2022, 01:05:07 PMI often wonder about the safety of the battery packs. After all every parcel with even a tiny Li-ion battery in it has a warning sign that is usually bigger than the device. OK cars have petrol or diesel tanks but it is still something I've not seen discussed.
Lithium batteries are to prone thermal runaway, especially when shorted out but the EV manufacturers, of course they would, state that the batteries can withstand being fully submerged in water.

I would have thought that the motors aren't submergable & that's where the short would occur.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I'm not sure that there would be lasting damage to an EV from being flooded beyond what any type of car might suffer. Years back  my cellar flooded and the freezer that was down there was half submerged but once it had dried out it was fine (it was off at the time of the flooding).

Michael Rolls

it made me think - our lane was flooded to the best part of a couple of feet or so at one point - in my previous cars I would have negotiated it carefully, but thinking of the gubbins in my hybrid, I decided to stay indoors!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]