Reduce crime and increase prison space

Started by klondike, Yesterday at 11:05:29 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Is this policy a winner?....

Police Forces Told to Stop Arresting People to Save Prison Space

British police forces have been told to arrest fewer people to reduce the strains on the prison system, sparking warnings that the move could endanger the public.

Internal advice from the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) has advised local police forces throughout Britain to suspend "non-priority arrests" and stop launching police operations which may result in a "large number of arrests", the Times of London reported.

"Consideration is to be given to pausing non-priority arrests and any planned operations where large numbers of arrests may take place to ease the pressure within the criminal justice system," the NPCC memo reportedly stated, adding: "Notwithstanding public protection remains a priority and a considered threat, harm and risk assessment is to be completed when considering any pause in police operations."

The document said that an instance in which police should not incarcerate a suspect would include alleged burglarers if officers have yet to conduct on-the-scene forensics or have yet to review CCTV footage. It also suggested that forces hold off on non-intelligence operations which could be carried out at a later date.

On the other hand, the advice did urge police forces to continue prioritising large-scale protests and other public events, which the NPCC said should continue to be prioritised.

It comes amid warnings that male prisons may run out of space by June amid a soaring population attributed to continued judicial delays stemming from coronavirus lockdowns and barrister strikes.

In addition to the advice to arrest fewer criminals, the government extended an emergency early-release scheme for convicted criminals, which will reportedly see some prisoners let back onto the streets up to 70 days early starting Thursday.

While the measures will not apply to sex offenders or terrorists, some convicted of violent crimes, inducing domestic abuse, will be eligible for early release. The scheme will also apply to people convicted of burglary, fraud, and theft. The scheme, which originally allowed for the release of criminals 35 days before the end of their sentences, began in October, however, the Ministry of Justice has so far not disclosed to the public how many prisoners have been freed under the measure.

On top of that, the government has also approved a plan to allow court cases to be delayed, meaning that some suspects will be released on bail while their trials are delayed rather than being held in a cell, the BBC reported.

Full story : https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2024/05/23/police-forces-told-to-stop-arresting-people-to-save-prison-space/

Now why am I not surprised by the original source?

JBR

Somehow, this does not surprise me.
It seems that either the people in charge of running this country have given up on supporting the law of the land, or perhaps want to encourage it for some strange reason.  Perhaps it has not occurred to them that building more prisons might be a better idea.

It is already clear in our capital city that the Metropolitan Police are not particularly interested in maintaining law and order, and I suppose that the people in overall charge have taken note and decided there is no point in encouraging all of our police services to do their job.

I'm sure that the eventual outcome of this encouragement will be the criminal fraternity not only rejoicing, but also increasing in numbers.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

I am forming a gang.. Pensioners Pocket Pickers.. 
Weekends.. The streets will be busy with tourist.. 

Also  Senior Shoplifters.. 
 Waitrose and M&S.. Mon- Fri...Fresh deliveries..

It would help if you have a zimmer frame or walking stick.. People with these items are ignored by the public.
Drivers with mobility scooters needed.. no drivers license required..
 To be on hand for a quick getaway.. 

Please get in touch if interested.. No risks involved..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

What kind of country tells its police force to stop arresting people  :wtf:
Has this ever happened before, anywhere in the world ?

muddy

JBR

Quote from: Alex on Yesterday at 01:48:44 PMWhat kind of country tells its police force to stop arresting people  :wtf:
Has this ever happened before, anywhere in the world ?
Actually, I think that the people who run this country are proud to announce that it is the most free place in the world.  Perfectly true, of course.  Free to do what you want, including breaking the law!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

I have an elbow crutch type walking stick somewhere Scrumpy, can I join please?  

It's ridiculous, we need more police, preferably armed in some places, more serious crime prevention is what is needed. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖