Zimmer frames

Started by Michael Rolls, March 21, 2023, 05:15:09 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

my knee problem - which is slowly getting better - led me to a surprise. I am 6' 1", although, according to our neurophysiologist, my arms and legs are both about two inches longer than average for my height. Veronica's Zimmer, set to its highest setting, has the hand grips 37" above floor height, and is uncomfortably low, forcing me to crouch over it whilst walking (which makes my back ache!). For comfort, the hand grips need to be at least 4" higher, preferably about 6" higher, but search as I may, I cannot find anything higher. How on earth would someone 6'5" or more cope? I've used Amazon and E-baby, gone onto the NHS website - no joy. Anyone else ever come across this problem?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I used the google shopping search for extra tall zimmer

First hit is https://www.mobilitysmart.co.uk/forearm-wheeled-walking-frame.html?ff=1&fp=26171

It is expensive  but at least offers...
Large Walking Frame maximum height: 1130mm (45")

It looks like the large one is currently out of stock unfortunately. The medium says
Medium Walking Frame maximum height: 1040mm (41")

There may be others in the list that are closer to your need and maybe cheaper.

Michael Rolls

thanks = I'll have a look - ah, I did see that forearm one but I didn't fancy it
[email protected]

klondike

You could maybe look at constructing something to boost the height. Possibly in wood. It depends how handy you are at that sort of thing but from the ones I looked at 37inches seems to be the highest.

Michael Rolls

same here. I didn't like the look of the arm rest one as it appear to induce even more of a crouch
[email protected]

klondike

That depends on the height of the arm rests. You could experiment with something like a brush extended if necessary with something to get the height right to see what sort of stance you would have with your forearms at the height offered.

I think you have to put some weight on the Zimmer for stability but that's just a guess as I've never used one.

Michael Rolls

knee is jusy about back to normal, thankfully, but I woll continue to research. Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.  :upvote:  :upvote:  :upvote:
[email protected]

Raven

Mike the ones with the arm rests are not nice (IMO) I was given one for a few days back in January in Ninewells. It was the first one I was given when I was made to get up out of bed. I found it very awkard, and was very happy when it was taken away and I was given the normal one. Yes it does make you lean over, that's the whole point, it's for people who find it easier to weight bare that way. Quite a few patients had them and were fine with them but not me.

Michael Rolls

thanks - the thought of bending over so much put me off it.
[email protected]