Shock. Horror. Who'd have guessed?

Started by klondike, November 20, 2023, 03:07:31 PM

« previous - next »

ansu

It's very difficult to get "long-term jobless" into work again. After some months they get used to the new way of life and they are no longer used to getting up early, working 8 hours a day, etc. And the young ones often dropped school, started an apprenticeship, stopped it after some months, maybe started a new one or just decided to stay at home and sit in front of the computer. It's extremely difficult to motivate them and their parents often are helpless. 

Raven

Such a change in attitude in just a couple of generations,  :worried:
In my last year at school we were all looking forward to leaving and making our way in the working world. Many had a job all lined up and waiting. I certainly did, I'd been working after school and on Saturdays for a year and was looking forward to going full time.
It never entered our heads to not work.

JBR

Quote from: ansu on November 30, 2023, 06:03:41 PMIt's very difficult to get "long-term jobless" into work again. After some months they get used to the new way of life and they are no longer used to getting up early, working 8 hours a day, etc. And the young ones often dropped school, started an apprenticeship, stopped it after some months, maybe started a new one or just decided to stay at home and sit in front of the computer. It's extremely difficult to motivate them and their parents often are helpless.
This is very true.  I have been retired for eleven years now and have certainly become used to lying in bed in the morning, so I can understand why so many now can't be bothered to worry about working!

However, this cannot go on for ever, relying on importing third-world people to do the jobs we need doing.  Not only are we failing to used our human resources fully and relying on unnecessary importations, it will eventually encourage more and more people not to work but to live off the state.

The simple solution is to simply go back to how things were run wen ah wer a lad: refuse jobs offered and you lose your dole money!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

ansu

... a good idea, but today you go back into the "hotel MUM".

Scrumpy

If we applied the  'Refuse job no dole' attitude all the Wokies would come out fighting.. calling it  'Inhuman'..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

It used to be like that I believe. 3 strikes and your out kind of system. I actually agree with it.

klondike

There are far too many jobs that offer less to a native Brit than benefits.

It isn't the benefits that are too high it's that 10 to a house foreigners can afford to work for less so wages are depressed to the minimum that they can be retained on. It's more that Brits can't afford to do some jobs than they won't.

The more foreigners we import the higher housing costs will go and the less native Brits will be able to afford to do the low paid jobs.

Raven

Another reason IMO to remove the buggers back to their own lands. :waiting: Then the Brits can get the jobs, :wink:  if the employer won't pay proper Living Wages then the work will not be done... They will soon stump up. :cool:

klondike

Exactly. If it costs a business more for something to be produced than warrants a reasonable wage to those doing the job then the business model is flawed.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on December 04, 2023, 11:22:10 AMExactly. If it costs a business more for something to be produced than warrants a reasonable wage to those doing the job then the business model is flawed.
Then there is the other alternative.  If our own businesses can't produce what people want at efficient costs, we will end up importing even more from places like China.

Regardless of that, we should (as has been said by others) get rid of our imported workers and at the same time reduce or stop completely benefits paid to indigenous Brits who are two lazy to work.  The 'Les Battersbys' of this country.

ansu

As to the housing, there's an enormous difference between us and migrants. In case of our Turks for instance the whole family is pooling money to buy a house and if it's large enough they all move in. 

klondike

Same sort of thing happens here but with many of the places being unregistered HMOs (house in multiple occupation) which means they meet none of the council imposed quality and safety standards which are likely not very high anyway.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on December 08, 2023, 10:30:14 AMSame sort of thing happens here but with many of the places being unregistered HMOs (house in multiple occupation) which means they meet none of the council imposed quality and safety standards which are likely not very high anyway.
Really?  Are we running out of four-star hotel places then?

klondike

No that's the legals or the asylum fails who just vanished from the eyes of the Home Office.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on December 08, 2023, 02:53:18 PMNo that's the legals or the asylum fails who just vanished from the eyes of the Home Office.
The government should, assuming that they really mean their promises of stopping illegal immigration, seriously reduce or in fact remove all benefits which illegals seem to receive.  Not only hotels, of course, but also anything and everything that the French don't give them.

The only remaining attraction of this country to the illegals would then be the fact that they don't need to carry any ID when they join the criminal fraternity.
Consequently, the next thing a strong government should do would be to ensure that anyone not carrying photo ID to be arrested until they can prove that they are here legally.
I always have my driving licence and there are other such documents which legal occupants of the UK can either show or obtain.
If the lazy ones, or those who live outside of the law, don't want to obtain such a document, that's their lookout.