More Auroras to Come.

Started by Raven, Yesterday at 07:48:25 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

BBC News - Northern Lights expected soon as Sun drives stormy space weather - BBC News.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c163j8551ygo

Alex

klondike

The sunspot group that caused it has rotated away so it probably won't come back til 4 weeks after the last one as that is how quick the sun rotates. I'm sure they'll put the story out again when it's expected.

Raven

I use an App called "aurora watch uk" it's very good and it's nearly always right. It's been sending me a lot of alerts lately.

klondike

I think it would sleep and have all its permissions removed on my phone. An aurora here is less than an annual event. Where you are I can see you may well get plenty - obviously because you are far further north plus you must get far less light polution from street lighting too. Anywhere near the town here even slight cloud cover means it never gets properly dark from the reflected light.

Raven

Yes that's true, I do have the alerts on. Even after years of seeing the lights they still fascinate me as much as the first time I saw them.
I remember Dunc waking me up and telling me to get dressed, he drove me to the beach where I just stood on the sands staring upwards, and watching them dance slowly around me while he grinned like a loon at the look my face.

klondike

You're spoiled with so many natural beauties living up there.

My one and only view the other week was pretty washed out and I'd need to drive quite a way to find truly dark skies even though most of the sodium street lights were replaced by what appear to be poundshop torches on a stick some years back.