Indicator light.

Started by Scrumpy, May 15, 2022, 09:10:07 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

I went out very early this morning..
I noticed one of my rear indicator lights is not working..
I don't want to take it into the garage.. Far too expensive..
Is it an easy/ simple thing to do.. ?  Thank you.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 15, 2022, 09:10:07 AM

I went out very early this morning..
I noticed one of my rear indicator lights is not working..
I don't want to take it into the garage.. Far too expensive..
Is it an easy/ simple thing to do.. ?  Thank you.

It depends on the definition of simple & I've often found that a quick thump on the rear light cluster may get it to work until I've had a chance to look at the bulb.

What car is it? Make, model & year & offside or nearside?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

I believe Halfords will replace it for you.

Scrumpy

She is a very old Peugeot 206.. The rear light on the opposite side of the driver.. :hmm:
I think it is best to get someone to do it for me..
How far away do you live Diasi.. ?

Halfords.. !!  I will check where my nearest one is.. Thank you..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 15, 2022, 09:44:00 AM

She is a very old Peugeot 206.. The rear light on the opposite side of the driver.. :hmm:
I think it is best to get someone to do it for me..
How far away do you live Diasi.. ?

Halfords.. !!  I will check where my nearest one is.. Thank you..

192 miles away.

The year's important as changing bulbs seems to get trickier the newer the car.

We've got a 2007 Peugeot 307 & I can change any of the rear bulbs in about 5 minutes.

Halfords will do it for about £16 plus the cost of the bulb.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

-Oy-

Quote from: Diasi on May 15, 2022, 09:54:06 AM
The year's important as changing bulbs seems to get trickier the newer the car.
I remember my Wife's Honda Jazz needing a new headlight bulb. You had to remove the front wheel and the plastic inner wing to get at it!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Diasi

Quote from: -Oy- on May 15, 2022, 09:56:16 AM
I remember my Wife's Honda Jazz needing a new headlight bulb. You had to remove the front wheel and the plastic inner wing to get at it!

Our Peugeot 307 front fog lights require the removal of the bumper which requires the removal of the inner wing liners.

The headlight bulbs are a self-fit if you have plenty of patience & don't mind the odd cut to your hands.

I did pay the garage to fit the last set of headlight bulbs, it took them 30 minutes so it was £20 which was well worth it.
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Thank you.. I think Halfords is my best bet..

Raven

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 15, 2022, 11:26:24 AM

Thank you.. I think Halfords is my best bet..

I'd give them a quick phone first, make sure they will do it.  :wink:

klondike

Check Youtube first. It may be an easy job. Bulb changes often are.

Not sure if this one covers your model. If not search using the year too.

Michael Rolls

My Citroen XM was a doddle to change the nearside front sidelight - the offside - an absolute pig leading to sliced knuckles on a sharp piece of metal adjacent to the housing - oh, and you had to get under car to reach either of them
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

-Oy-

Just checked how to change my indicator buld and it looks real easy :)

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Scrumpy

I have checked indicator lights and it would appear that both front and rear on left side are not working..
The indicator arrow light shows up on the dashboard but instead of a steady slow ticking it goes potty.
Am I right in thinking that it could be an electric fault rather than just the bulbs needing replacing . ?
Thank you.

-Oy-

klondike

The fuse box layout from
https://fuseandrelay.com/peugeot/206.html
says a single fuse services a whole bunch of lights...

F5   (20A / 30A) Front fog lights, signal, side / rear lights

https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/206-indicator-relay-replacement.4329/

Holds some bad news about the relays if the problem lies there because a garage fix would be pretty expensive
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/206-indicator-relay-replacement.4329/

It is easy enough to visually inspect a bulb to see if it is blown or not (the filament will either be entirely missing or there should be a visible break in it) so that would be the first thing I'd check on whichever bulb is easiest to get out.
If it is the flasher unit then there appears to be a possible bodge in the page I linked to. I'd be inclined to look for a used replacement (ebay or local source).

In the good old days these things used to be a cheap plug in unit that usually sat in the dash wiring near the steering wheel. Progress  :rolleyes: