When the wind don't blow...

Started by klondike, January 02, 2023, 10:24:45 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

It seems likely that the French wont be shipping us much energy across our link to their grid. Perhaps we should be burning all the bloody dinghies that we will be getting FOC in the lull.

European Energy Crisis: France Close to Electricity Rationing Over Problems with Local Nuclear Plants

France is uncomfortably close to energy rationing as a result of issues it is having with some of its nuclear power plants, a report by The Times has claimed.

The UK newspaper has alleged that Emmanuel Macron's France is currently coming close to having to ration energy due to a number of its nuclear power plants being taken offline over the last number of months.

If true, the news does not bode well for many countries in Europe that rely upon France for some of their electricity, with both the UK and Germany depending on the country for some of their power.

According to the report published on Sunday, the reduction in the number of nuclear power plants in operation in the country has put extreme strain on the country's national power grid.

Warmer weather has since meant that, despite supply issues, energy rationing will likely not be needed, though the country's power watchdog has warned that a sudden cold snap could change this.

"Until January 15, we know that we will have no difficulty," The Times reports Emmanuelle Wargon, who serves as President of France's Energy Regulation Commission, as saying.

Full story https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/01/01/european-energy-crisis-france-close-to-electricity-rationing-over-problems-with-local-nuclear-plants/

Raven

We have a huge Windfarm just a few miles south of Thurso. Some of them stand right beside the road (A9) I've walked there a couple of times with Dageus. It's quite an eerie place at dusk, often they stand silent and still but I would not like to live close to them as the humming noise they make when moving is pretty loud.

Diasi

As hard as it would be, I would like to see a couple of winter months with the UK's only power coming from renewable sources.

If that doesn't turn public opinion away from wind & solar I don't know what will.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

Michael Rolls

the ones I can see from the front garden have moved slowly on about one, possible two, days in the last week. The rest of the time they have been useless - and Scotland's hills are windier than most areas of teh UK
Mike :boo:
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Those in the sea do better but I assume that they are a lot more expensive to erect and service. They do have the saving grace of not providing a nice little earner for some rich land owner for doing SFA. 

None of then have reduced the cost of energy or indeed ever can when the contracts pay whether they produce any energy or not at rates based on gas prices. They are more greed and fear powered than they are wind powered.