Queen and stamps

Started by Flying Bomb, April 04, 2022, 06:08:14 AM

« previous - next »

Flying Bomb

The Queen is 95, so is the price of a first class stamp, 95p.
Royal Mail indeed. 

Michael Rolls

can't get my head round it - nearly a quid for a stamp!!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I know! But how often do we use snail mail these days? I've used two stamps so far this year.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

And that is probably why sending Christmas/ Birthday cards are on the decline..

It must be difficult for those who rely on the post to keep in touch with families..
Not everyone has a computer etc: One of my mates has no interest in technology .. she finds the whole business confusing.. Another friend has no idea how to text or check his phone for messages.. He uses it simply to make and receive calls..
We are all village idiots..  :smiley:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I'm putting these numbers in as I get them. I have no idea how it will work out but my gut feel is that a stamp has outpaced inflation.

2022 Average full time wage (impacted by furlough for many)  £31,285 stamp £0.95 so would buy 32,931 stamps

1982 Average income (converted from a weekly figure) £8,023 stamp £0.15.5 so would buy 51,765

Yep way ahead of inflation over the last 40 years.

Yet still I get junk mail. Admittedly less though. Most of the recycling I have delivered these days is flyers.

Michael Rolls

the RM get paid for that junk mail. Mine goes straight in the bin, but without it RM would be charging us even more and/or further reducing the service. Remember when we had early morning post, parcel post mid-morning, and an evening post?
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I remember when it was marginally worth the effort of putting an advert together to sell something on eBay.

Michael Rolls

That's a point. Haven't sold on E-bay for some years, but the cost of postage...
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I have lots of stuff that would sell but not for huge amounts and the post and fees would eat close to 50% of low value items so it's not worth the effort.

Everybody expects "free post" too and eBay charge a fee on the total sale price. If you show the true cost of post it would probably cut the final sale price by more than the post.

It used to be that you could buy a lead of some sort or other small item for 99p delivered. Not any more.

crabbyob

my horrid step-son was a postman, and the vast majority was junk mail, and all had to be delivered... at one house an irate householder yanked the door open and demanded the lad cease delivering such junk thru his door, the lad told him if that address was on it then by law he had to delliver it to that address the guy was livid "stay right there" and charged off into the house returning with pen and paper "i demand you give me your bosses name and address and i will get this stopped, so what is his name and address?" "actually its a her, sir, and the name and address is.... Her Majesty the Queen.... Buckingham Palace, London, i'm not sure about the post code" the guys shoulders slumped and he slammed his door...

Michael Rolls

[email protected]