Are you ready for power cuts this winter?

Started by klondike, October 24, 2023, 08:37:09 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Are You Prepared for Power Cuts This Winter?

Last week I was in France for a few days and noticed that the French Government was planning to impose power supply restrictions on certain types of home.

On returning to the U.K., I found a letter from Scottish and Southern Electricity explaining to its customers how they should prepare for power cuts here in Britain.

I also see that the Dutch are about to start rationing electricity this winter, and other European countries may follow, as they did last year.

It would seem that those crazy conspiracy theorists who predicted that our rulers' saving-the-planet Net Zero policies would result in electricity supply shortages were right.

It's extraordinary how so many of yesterday's 'conspiracy theories' turn out to be today's reality.

Are you prepared for power cuts to your home and business this winter? You'd better be.

David Craig is the author of There is No Climate Crisis, available as an e-book or paperback from Amazon.

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/10/23/are-you-prepared-for-power-cuts-this-winter/

Bit of a bummer. I bought a UPS last year and never needed it. I moved the WiFi router away from the Fibre modem to give better WiFi coverage. Will need to run a seperate power cable too to keep t'internet. Probably wing it until after the first cut. Maybe in an election year they'll try to avoid them.

Michael Rolls

got a Calor gas imitation log burner for warmth. Got a couple of standard LED lamps powered by AA batteries. Got a good torch always near. Got a camping gas twin burner (and plenty of gas) so I can heat up drinks and soup and the like. Best I can do after crossing my fingers 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Raven

We have 2 open fireplaces at Duncs and a gas fire at mine sooooooo hopefully it will be ok.

Michael Rolls

oh yes - forgot the candles - thanks

October 24, 2023, 10:54:12 AM
Quote from: Alex on October 24, 2023, 10:38:27 AMI've got plenty of candles  :grin:
Forgot the candles - thanks
Also, my two internal warmers - gin and red wins. Yes, I know that they don't actually warm you, but helped by the other accessories, they help you to ignore the cold!
[email protected]

JBR

Power cuts, eh?

Yet the government is still pushing (not literally, though it'll come) EVs!
At the same time they have been dithering about nuclear power for years now, even though we already have the technology and ability in Rolls Royce to build SMRs.

If the fools had not come up with the bright idea of HS2 all those years ago, we could by now have reliable nuclear powered electricity to spare, and EVs (for those daft enough to buy them) being able to charge them up every 20 minutes or so on a long journey.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

dextrous63

Ruthio

dextrous63

klondike

I've read two EV stories recently. One says Toyota are on the brink of developing solid state batteries that solve many of the problems of EV cars. Apparently 700mile range and 10 minute charge times are on the cards. Exactly when is uncertain of course. I'm wondering just how thick the charger cables and power supply cables to the chargers would need to be to deliver that though.

The other one was that uncertainty about cost of battery repairs and verifying they were completed correctly after even a minor collision is looking like it might make them uneconomic to insure. No doubt about the timing for that as some underwriters won't touch them already.

If anybody wants to read some of the many stories on those two checkout Google and take your pick.

Alex

Ashy

I think we are suffering from the after-effects of dull politicians. Look at their qualifications and we'll see most of them are PPEs who have never had a proper job, or lawyers or bankers. No offence to present company but we don't have very many MPs taking serious decisions about infrastructure who know the first thing about it. Most of them are devious crooks whose main concern is lining their own pockets using public funds.