Liverpool

Started by Alex, May 13, 2023, 08:17:05 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

I know Sheila was born in Liverpool and I'm an adopted Scouser having spent a lot of my youth there...but has anyone here visited the city ?  I may be biased but it really is a great city to visit, even for a day trip !  Plenty to see, full of diversity if that's your thing and it's a city so proud of its heritage.

OK, so the national anthem was booed at Anfield, but that wasn't everyone, some supporters are a  bit thick and think the national anthem is something to do with Margaret Thatcher, who DID decide that Liverpool should be abandoned to a " managed decline "   Well it didn't happen, mostly thanks to EU money (our money actually)
Liverpool people are generous, warm and really welcoming, I just wish the old jokes would disappear, you know the ones about cars on bricks  :grin:  :grin:

klondike

When my daughter just started into  competitive swimming her club made the National Diddy League finals which were held in Liverpool that year (1990) and we went there by coach. 

We arrived early and the coach driver circled around the central area for a while. I must say that then the bits we saw were pretty badly run down. I haven't been back though so maybe the place has recovered since.

Alex

That's a long time ago Klondy !
Of course there are rough areas on the outskirts, as in any large city and I drive through some when I go to Croxteth.  I always lock my door until I get back to the city  :grin: 

Michael Rolls

what do you call a Scouser in a suit? The accused
I'll get me coat
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

When we took our campervan to The Lakes and on to Scotland at one point we cut through the outskirts of Glasgow. We didn't stop....

Sheila

I live on the other side of The Mersey now and even my OH, who is from the north east, agrees that it is a good place to live.  There are lovely walks along the banks of the river and we can easily get into the countryside.  Our neighbours are a friendly, helpful bunch.  We moved into our house thirty years ago as a temporary measure so that we were close to my mum but see no point in moving now.

dextrous63

We had a walk around Hoylake (mostly the beach) a few weeks back.  It felt very safe.

One thing we did notice was how few people made eye contact or said "good afternoon" (or similar) which seemed a bit odd as it's a "normal" thing to do

Scrumpy

I have only been as far north as Manchester.. There are many places that look fine in daylight hours but avoided when darkness comes.. even some villages.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

I've never been into Liverpool just passed by on the motorway heading south. When it's mentioned I always smile as it reminds me of that family of scallywags The Boswells. I loved the series Bread, never failed to make me laugh, except for Billy I just wanted to strangle that wee Scunner.
I did have bother with the accent at times though, especially if one of them was angry.

Sheila

Quote from: dextrous63 on May 14, 2023, 08:45:01 AMWe had a walk around Hoylake (mostly the beach) a few weeks back.  It felt very safe.

One thing we did notice was how few people made eye contact or said "good afternoon" (or similar) which seemed a bit odd as it's a "normal" thing to do
Have you tried Port Sunlight River Park?  Everyone says hello as they pass and we can finish off with a coffee at the little cafe (not open at weekends).  The cafe at the nearby Lady Lever Art Gallery used to be good but I haven't been there for a while.

dextrous63

Quote from: Sheila on May 14, 2023, 09:56:47 AMHave you tried Port Sunlight River Park?  Everyone says hello as they pass and we can finish off with a coffee at the little cafe (not open at weekends).  The cafe at the nearby Lady Lever Art Gallery used to be good but I haven't been there for a while.
Have visited Port Sunlight in the past, but not the River Park.  Thanks for the heads up on that.

Edit- just had a look at the website.  It was opened in 2014, so it should be well established but not "tired".  Looks good to me 😊

Michael Rolls

Raven
Veronica and I loved Bread - especially the resigned lady at the job centre
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]