Scrabble for the hard of thinking

Started by klondike, April 12, 2024, 05:24:41 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

'No More Scoring': Mattel to Release More Gen-Z Friendly Scrabble in Europe

"The new launch is a double-sided version of the famous board game — one side with the original game for those who want to stick to the long-time traditional version, and one side with a 'less competitive' version to appeal to Gen Z gamers," reported the New York Post.

"The flip side of the classic game, called Scrabble Together, will include helper cards, use a simpler scoring system, be quicker to play and allow people to play in teams," it added.

Gyles Brandreth, who co-hosts the language podcast Something Rhymes With Purple, told BBC Radio 4 Today that Mattel discovered that Gen-Z fans of Scrabble see no value in making the game competitive.

"They want a game where you can simply enjoy language, words, being together and having fun creating words," said Rhymes.

Ray Adler, vice president, global head of games for Mattel, told the NY Post that the company wants to ensure the game "continues to be inclusive for all players."

"Scrabble has truly stood the test of time as one of the most popular board games in history, and we want to ensure the game continues to be inclusive for all players," said Adler. "For anyone who's ever thought 'word games aren't for me', or felt a little intimidated by the classic game, Scrabble Together mode is an ideal option."

"Scrabble Together Mode continues to celebrate the wonder of words just as the Classic version does, but thanks to its exciting new co-operative and dynamic gameplay, it's more accessible and brings people together," he added added.

Aside from the end of scoring, the new game will come with helper cards that can provide assistance and clues to players should they wish to use them. While scoring has been jettisoned, the game will still have a winner and loser depending on who completes the twenty challenges and who used up all the helper cards. By eliminating the scoring system, games should conclude faster.

"The game speaks to a trend in younger people who want to avoid competitive games, instead favoring teamwork and collaboration working towards a fun goal together," said Brett Smitheram, current UK number 1 and 2016 World Scrabble Champion.

A Mattel spokesperson told CNN that Scrabble Together will be released in Europe but not the U.S and Canada, since Hasbro produced the game in those countries.

"While we don't have any plans for an update in the US, we love the idea of different ways to play Scrabble and continue to attract new players to the game around the world," a Hasbro spokesperson told the NY Post.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/04/12/no-more-scoring-mattel-to-release-more-gen-z-friendly-scrabble-in-europe/

I don't know about votes at 16 but there should certainly be some sort of test before being able to vote at all.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on April 12, 2024, 05:35:46 PManother dumbing down!
Absolutely.  Perhaps this is due to the lack of discipline in schools and, of course, on the streets.

The poor kids find it difficult to use their ABC, so I'm sure they need a little help with proper spelling.
Not their fault, I must add.  Kids are kids and shouldn't have to worry about all these complicated things, which the grown-ups will sort out for them.

Of course, I suppose that one day they themselves will grow up and become teachers, university professors, doctors and surgeons, so don't really need to be able to spell 'hard words'.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

My gen z grandchildren are pretty competitive!  The 1% club is a favourite on TV.  They were brought up with board games.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

The mention of teamwork reminded me of a wasted couple of days at an interview. It was in IT for Mars in Slough. The job had to be advertised internally as well as externally and there were two days of team collaboration and competition. There were two internal candidates and quite early it was obvious which would get the job and which, along with the muggins external candidates would be getting the wooden spoon.

The usual nonsense rubbish building the longest bridge, tallest tower etc. After each round we had individual discussion with one of the selectors during one of which I was asked who I got on best with in the team and who was most irritating. When asked why I found my nominee for most annoying I said because he kept snatching the bits out of people's hands while they were experimenting with them.

I didn't get the job but it was no surprise as their internal candidate was undoubtedly good. At least I got a couple of days of decent meals in a nice hotel plus a big bag of chocolate goodies.

I wonder how they select the supposedly non competitive Gen Zers these days.

Alex

There's the magic word again ' inclusive '

As for Gen X, Millennials, Gen Z  ?  I don't have a clue ,  I can't remember which is which  :grin: it's all so confusing

Ashy

I wonder how they'll improve Monopoly. Benefits office instead of jail time?

GrannyMac

Quote from: Ashy on April 12, 2024, 09:22:52 PMI wonder how they'll improve Monopoly. Benefits office instead of jail time?
Thats a possibility.  And perhaps some of the properties will have squatters in them! 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Lots of visitors to the hotels (at least if they are 4 star).

JBR

Thanks for these brilliant ideas.

I created a revised playing board for Monopoly some years ago.  
I might now make some changes to the cards to go with it, such as: 
'Benefits Office' instead of 'You Win the Lottery'; 
'One of your properties has been taken over by squatters, reduce charges', throw a six to throw them out; 
and 'One of your hotels has been assigned a safe home for illegals, you can no longer charge visitors'.

img uploads

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on April 19, 2024, 10:36:22 AMbrilliant!
The Monopoly board?  Thank you.
There are several advantages over the original, the main one being that if you land on one of the three intercepting squares, not only do you take a card but you can also decide which way to go next time, which would be very helpful of an opponent has several hotels on one route.

dextrous63

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on April 19, 2024, 11:14:38 AMGenius Monopoly board JB.
If you or anyone else wants to try it, please copy the image and print it out (though you might like to enlarge it!).  Of course, you'd need all the cards and playing pieces from a normal Monopoly game.

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on April 19, 2024, 11:36:45 AMIf you or anyone else wants to try it, please copy the image and print it out (though you might like to enlarge it!).  Of course, you'd need all the cards and playing pieces from a normal Monopoly game.
Thanks.  But no money, since nobody must be allowed to win, nor lose.

Come to think of it, our political system has evolved into one of inclusivity.  No point voting at all, since the two main parties will always make sure that there are no winners.