Outrageous SUVs

Started by JBR, April 10, 2024, 11:40:00 AM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

When I get the train from Stockport to my son's, it passes through Cheadle Hume.  Is that the same as Cheadle?  

There are some really nice small towns and villages in that part of the world, son works in Knutsford, I love the black and white timbered houses.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: Alex on April 13, 2024, 10:30:57 PMNot as posh as Alderley Edge of course but I thought Gatley was posh.  Cheadle is nice, some decent charity shops there  :smiley:
Yes, Alderley Edge is very posh, and that really is just up the A34 past Wilmslow.
Such places, of course, are only within the financial reach of footballers!

April 14, 2024, 11:12:15 AM
Quote from: GrannyMac on April 14, 2024, 06:32:39 AMWhen I get the train from Stockport to my son's, it passes through Cheadle Hume.  Is that the same as Cheadle? 

There are some really nice small towns and villages in that part of the world, son works in Knutsford, I love the black and white timbered houses.
I'd say that Cheadle Hulme (pronounced 'hyoom'!) is pretty similar to Cheadle and Gatley, though I wouldn't venture much to the north and arrive at Cheadle Heath.

Yes, Knutsford is a nice place, but directly on the Manchester Airport flightpath!  Depends which way they're taking off and of course which way the wind's blowing!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

They don't live in Knutsford.  Lots of nice little towns and villages to choose from!

Cassandra

I had a client in 'Prestbury' in the 80's. Stunning village I seem to remember ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on April 14, 2024, 01:53:45 PMI had a client in 'Prestbury' in the 80's. Stunning village I seem to remember ...
Although not a million miles away, I have never been there.  Looks a pretty village.  We might call in and explore a pub!

GrannyMac

There's a member on the MS with connections to the area whose username is prestbury. 

I've gone through on the train. It looks lovely Cass.

Cassandra

My client was the late 'Lord' Tim Hudson, who owned nearby 'Old Birtles Hall' complete with it's very own and beautiful Cricket field. Tim loved the game, it was his passion and his matches and dinners became very well known. He spent a fortune on both the Hall & the ground.

Particularly, we used to have lunch at the 'Legh Arms' (in the previous picture). This was all of 40 years ago now, but it was a magnificent Inn to visit. Within we discussed his various ongoing courtroom manoeuvres. I used to address him as 'The Prince of Protesters', because he was always in dispute with not only his neighbours, but particularly 'Lancashire County Cricket Club'; whom he tried to 'buy out' many times.

Great fun, if he didn't live next door to you, I would imagine?

JBR

Lancashire?  Good heavens!  Aiming a little low!  🤣

Yorkshire CCC is, of course, the best and (I think) may still feature in the Guinness Book of World Records as the best county cricket club in the country, going by its performance in county championships.

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on April 14, 2024, 03:11:58 PMAlthough not a million miles away, I have never been there.  Looks a pretty village.  We might call in and explore a pub!

As I've mentioned to GM, The Legh Arms is superb, but so was 'The Admiral Rodney' which was 'Robinsons' Flag Ship pub (on New Street). My neighbour now with me here (US) and I spent many happy hours there too, back when he was playing fo England , Lancs and 'Lord Tim's X1. Being a Cheshire purist he loves Robinsons.

Either were/are well worth a visit in this charming place.

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on April 14, 2024, 05:23:43 PMLancashire?  Good heavens!  Aiming a little low!  🤣

Yorkshire CCC is, of course, the best and (I think) may still feature in the Guinness Book of World Records as the best county cricket club in the country, going by its performance in county championships.

Bearing in mind I was coached by a genial Yorkshireman who opened the batting for Essex for 16 years (Gordon Barker) aka 'The Master' and my all time hero's are Trueman, Boycott and Len Hutton, I shan't argue. Yorkshire was 60 years ago besotted by some of the most picturesque and well kempt grounds in England. I've been fortunate enough to either play, or Umpire on many of them too! Sadly the County Club, that produced so many great players over the years has been subjected to racial attacks in recent times. I wish they'd have been stronger in resisting these 'circumlocutory' accusations. Fortunately the main advocate against them has now been shown to be unreliable in some of his revelations (sic). He and his gambling debts have now departed to his homeland Pakistan ...

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on April 14, 2024, 06:32:39 AMWhen I get the train from Stockport to my son's, it passes through Cheadle Hume.  Is that the same as Cheadle? 

GM, my 'neighbour' here assures me they are two separate locations with Cheadle, village being closer to Gatley. Cheadle Hulme is more of a suburb a region for commuters to both Manchester and Stockport and is several miles south

Both pleasant locations (or were) he says, prior to 'invasion'.

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on April 14, 2024, 06:04:20 PMBearing in mind I was coached by a genial Yorkshireman who opened the batting for Essex for 16 years (Gordon Barker) aka 'The Master' and my all time hero's are Trueman, Boycott and Len Hutton, I shan't argue. Yorkshire was 60 years ago besotted by some of the most picturesque and well kempt grounds in England. I've been fortunate enough to either play, or Umpire on many of them too! Sadly the County Club, that produced so many great players over the years has been subjected to racial attacks in recent times. I wish they'd have been stronger in resisting these 'circumlocutory' accusations. Fortunately the main advocate against them has now been shown to be unreliable in some of his revelations (sic). He and his gambling debts have now departed to his homeland Pakistan ...
Sad, but only one of the recent problems we now suffer in this country.

April 14, 2024, 07:12:48 PM
Quote from: Cassandra on April 14, 2024, 06:21:05 PMGM, my 'neighbour' here assures me they are two separate locations with Cheadle, village being closer to Gatley. Cheadle Hulme is more of a suburb a region for commuters to both Manchester and Stockport and is several miles south

Both pleasant locations (or were) he says, prior to 'invasion'.
We're actually in Gatley, though sometimes refer to it as Cheadle as the two are conjoined.  Both are still, thankfully, quite civilised places despite the 'changes' happening to our country, mostly in built-up city areas of course.

Alex

Lovely photo of Prestbury, don't think I've ever been there.

GrannyMac

Cass, I recognise Beefy in your photo.  He was quite a character, well known in Doncaster where we first lived after moving South. 

And with regard to invasion, I can't speak for all Cheshire, but Cheshire East, with the possible exception of Crewe is still fairly mono cultural.

Michael Rolls

Lord IT and Sir GB. The nasty little man who caused so much difficulty for YCC beema to have been shown up as a wiley oriental gentleman
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]