UK government breaking the law

Started by klondike, December 19, 2022, 11:26:36 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

UK Judges Rule Home Secretary Broke Law by Not Giving Migrants Even More Cash

Britain's infamously woke judiciary has found that Home Secretary Suella Braverman acted unlawfully by not increasing the cash handouts to asylum seekers amid rising inflation.

In a suit brought before the High Court in Manchester by an asylum seeker referred to as CB, judges found that Suella Braverman had violated the law by not increasing cash payments to nearly 60,000 migrants claiming refugee status by £5 per week.

At present, migrants are afforded £40.85 per week in taxpayer money while their asylum claims are processed — on top of such taxpayer largesse as free accommodation in hotels and free meals.

During the court case, however, it was revealed that internal advice at the Home Office recommend that this should be increased to £45 a week due to the rising cost of living in the country, The Guardian reported.

The Home Secretary is bound by law to update the taxpayer support provided to asylum seekers to keep in line with subsistence living in the country, the court asserted — this at a time when much of Britain is crippled by industrial action as a result of struggling workers in key sectors striking for better pay.

Full story https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2022/12/18/uk-court-rules-home-secretary-broke-law-by-not-giving-migrants-more-cash/

Michael Rolls

is it just me, or are our judiciary really stark, staring raving bonkers?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

No Mike it's not just you. My blood is boiling after reading that. How bloody dare they say we should give them everything, what next, are they going to chuck us out of our homes to let the interlopers have them.

Cassandra

Its merely a lower court's decision, eminently selected as an amphitheater by 'Leftylawyers' to win in. Just like the Guardian reading smucks who gave statue's a bath in Bristol.

In the law too much goes on behind the scenes in picking 'Judges for Courses'.

Makes dream headlines for both the Mirror and The Express. It's a nuisance but 'should' be reversed on appeal. But there again its 'Loony Tunes' GB, so today maybe anything goes in the face of Woke!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

This surely cannot be allowed to go on.
Not only lefty lawyers working against the good of the country, but now judges.
Are they attempting to cause civil riots?
Because that is what will inevitably happen, at least while white British people are still in the majority.

Sadly, I can see nothing that I can possibly do other than to vote wisely in 2024.
Even then, who knows how the vote will go, as there now seem to be more and more lefties throughout the country.  If they get their way, we shall see what real damage they can do to the country.

I'm 70 and Marge is 61.  Please, God (and I'm an atheist), don't let the country sink to the level I expect for at least the next 30 years (for my wife's sake).
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

The sad thing is you don't need to make any effort to find stories such as this. Ones that make you wonder what the hell is coming and can anything be done to stop it. Do the younger generations even care and is it us that are out of touch?

Still looking on the bright side wind is delivering over 40% of our energy need right now. With any luck we may see less dinghy visitors for a while.

Ashy

If we taxpayers have to fund this in the end, let's sack a few judges to pay for it? One might be enough for £300,000.

There again they could change the law so we don't have to sack anyone.

I don't see how the law can allow an infinite number of claimants to come from anywhere and then demand that they all get paid for doing nothing, because that requires an infinite amount of money.

Alex

I think we should all emigrate to Poland

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on December 19, 2022, 05:15:09 PMIf we taxpayers have to fund this in the end, let's sack a few judges to pay for it? One might be enough for £300,000.

There again they could change the law so we don't have to sack anyone.

I don't see how the law can allow an infinite number of claimants to come from anywhere and then demand that they all get paid for doing nothing, because that requires an infinite amount of money.
It sounds as if some judges are making efforts to damage this country, one way or another.  I'm thinking primarily about illegal immigration.
Judges, by definition, should surely be unbiased and independent and have no allegiances to anyone or any organisation.
The question, then, is who should decide on their appointment?
A democratic vote of some sort might sound a possibility, though I'm not sure whether that would work. 
I do, however, believe that there should be some sort of election process to ensure that all judges can be trusted not to act according only to their own wishes.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

I think they all act within the law. the problem is laws are often not drafted as well as they should be and then they have to be interpreted. Cass will be better placed to comment on this but I think more blame lies with the people who draft the law (politicians) than the judges who have to interpret them when the chance for personal bias appears.

I don't want more elected officials although an elected House of Lords would be an improvement on the disgraceful institution made up of failed politicians and cronies that we have currently. Starmer isn't daft pushing this into Labour policy.

Ashy

Serious question:

Do you think the composition of the house of lords would be any different if the occupants were elected?

I'll start: I don't. We would have failed politicians and cronies just as we do now. Whilst that could mean their numbers were limited, they would be salaried, pensioned and have unlimited expenses etc. and they still wouldn't be able to stop bad laws being enacted.

klondike

Current membership
Con 283
Lab 175
LibDem 83
Crossbench 184
Non Affiliated 41
Bishops 25

Bishops simply shouldn't be there
LibDems seem to be overrepresented
After the next election the Conservatives will certainly be overrepresented.

If it becomes an elected house and is still full of failed politicians and cronies then we have nobody to blame but ourselves. You can't argue that something that is clearly a cess pit shouldn't be emptied because it will only get refilled with turds. That analogy fails.

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on December 20, 2022, 11:09:02 AMI think they all act within the law. the problem is laws are often not drafted as well as they should be and then they have to be interpreted. Cass will be better placed to comment on this but I think more blame lies with the people who draft the law (politicians) than the judges who have to interpret them when the chance for personal bias appears.

I don't want more elected officials although an elected House of Lords would be an improvement on the disgraceful institution made up of failed politicians and cronies that we have currently. Starmer isn't daft pushing this into Labour policy.

Whilst the law proclaims generally, interpretation is individual, thats why there is an appeal process. In my time at the High Bench, no two men  were as different as 'Sir' Jeremiah Le Roy Harmann, aka Harmann the Horrible (sic).and 'Baron' Lennie Hoffman. If you wanted someone to hang upon appeal, Jeremiah was your man. If you were after remission, or a fair hearing, 'Lennie' was the one to to get in front of. The former was eventually 'persuaded' to resign after he took 20 months to determine an appeal case. Ignobly and unconnected, whilst in office he once kicked a taxi driver in the groin, prior to being Knighted of course!

I knew I was going to have to appeal every time I got him and the Chancellor's office always put him on anything that was the least anti-establishment. He would have been Jeremy Hunt's 'go to' for everything needing a 'seal of approval', were he still alive.

It's still very much a matter of who gets to allocate what, to whom, knowing their leanings. The series on TV starring Martin Shaw as the Red Judge 'John Deed' reminded me of personal circumstances demonstrating the schematics involved. In my experience these incidents were very accurate on this 'grey' area of jurisdictive administration.

It's as old as the Bible, truly an international happening and ever more will be so as it's all the reliable practice of humanities inequality to humanity.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ashy

Quote from: klondike on December 20, 2022, 12:39:02 PMf it becomes an elected house and is still full of failed politicians and cronies then we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
I agree absolutely. There is a slim chance that we might avoid some of the failed politicians and cronies but if they should be elected off a party list like the eu parliarment and the Greater London Assembly (for example) are, it comes down to who compiles the list and-put-my-name-at-the-top. And they will be failed politicians and cronies for certain.