Slipping and sliding..

Started by Scrumpy, December 15, 2022, 06:15:55 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Coldest morning so far here today. Still -4 now.

Scrumpy

Sheila .. I always keep a bag of grit near my bins .. As soon as there is a snow or heavy frost warning I grit my pathway..

December 16, 2022, 11:12:49 AM

Bugger the onion.. I'm staying indoors..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Sheila

Yes, Paul remembered that we had some salt in the garage so we are ok now but £142 lighter thanks to Asda.  We are going to see family tomorrow and have booked a Syrian meal, then my eldest daughter is staying with us for a few days.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Sheila

Diasi

As I do a journey which means driving at 08:00, I bought a windscreen cover so I only have to de-ice the nearside windows which sometimes get a bit of ice on them.

I'm doing quite a bit of driving at the moment but ice doesn't bother me too much, it's the LED street lights that make it more difficult for me.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

I hate those LED street lights, :no:  We don't have any up here but I'm swamped with the damn things when I'm down in Perth.

Alex

I hate them too absolutely useless.   :boo:

Sheila

We sometimes walk along the road to the pub and the path is uneven due to tree roots.  The 'new improved' LED lights make it dangerous.

Also teenage lads seem to think it is ok to ride their bikes on the road without lights and wearing black clothing.  Some of them even have black face coverings.

Raven

Quote from: Sheila on December 16, 2022, 04:01:40 PMWe sometimes walk along the road to the pub and the path is uneven due to tree roots.  The 'new improved' LED lights make it dangerous.

Also teenage lads seem to think it is ok to ride their bikes on the road without lights and wearing black clothing.  Some of them even have black face coverings.

Silly young asses, and I suppose the driver would be at fault in any accident.  :angry:  :waiting:

Diasi

Quote from: Sheila on December 16, 2022, 04:01:40 PMWe sometimes walk along the road to the pub and the path is uneven due to tree roots.  The 'new improved' LED lights make it dangerous.

The problem is that the LED lights don't have much of a spread so it's bright under the light & then dark until you reach the next one so you're constantly driving into light & into darkness & it's the few seconds while your eyes adjust to the darkness that could mean you don't see the person in dark clothing in time.

I'm thinking of fitting 55 watt HID headlight bulbs to my dipped beam & a Lazer light bar in conjunction with my main beam.

It will be quite expensive but not as expensive as hitting someone.

The HID bulbs aren't road legal but I'll take my chances if I get checked as it's less dangerous than using the legal halogen bulbs. The Lazer light bar is road legal.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

These LED ligts are a pain in the bum where you're driving round in 17 year old 'ordinary' lights, they're blinding. :cool:

klondike

Not the new car headlamps. The useless LED street lights. They are so dim you maybe just think the council has turned them off. 

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on December 16, 2022, 07:53:22 PMThese LED ligts are a pain in the bum where you're driving round in 17 year old 'ordinary' lights, they're blinding. :cool:

Since being here I've had two ops on my eyes (one to each) to remove cataracts and insert lens for distance work. Magically driving at night difficulties just as you detail, just disappeared. In the UK and prior to the ops I too struggled. The NHS offer an excellent service and it may be worth getting the opthalmic dept to inspect your peepers? 

I took under half an hour each time by the way.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on December 16, 2022, 09:02:51 PMNot the new car headlamps. The useless LED street lights. They are so dim you maybe just think the council has turned them off.
The new car LED headlights aren't blinding or dazzling but they're 3 to 4 times brighter than a halogen bulb so your eyes adjust to compensate for the brightness.

Once the LED lights have gone past, your halogen bulb doesn't provide enough light for you to see until your eyes have re-adjusted, so Alex is correct in the affect it has.

It's exactly the same opthalmic process that occurs when you walk out of bright sunlight into a dark room.
[email protected]