Watch Out for the £400 Scam.

Started by Raven, October 01, 2022, 06:44:20 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Don't fall for it.

BBC News - When are the £400 energy rebate and other cost-of-living payments due?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Ashy

Seconded, thanks Raven

"Everyone's energy bill will be cut by £400. This will be applied over six months, with a reduction of £66 in October and November, and £67 every month between December and March 2023.
The discount will be made automatically by energy suppliers in England, Scotland and Wales. There is no need to apply.
Customers have been warned to ignore scam emails and texts asking for personal information in order to receive the discount.
The messages invite people to apply for the £400 discount and then instructs the recipient to follow a link to a fake website of energy regulator Ofgem. The scam encourages people to hand over personal details and set up a direct debit. "

klondike

It would catch some out I expect. Hopefully nobody here.

Alex

I've had two of these messages on my mobile , one last week and one yesterday.  The first one I blocked the number, it doesn't seem to be stopping them.

A friend I take shopping, she's younger than me but doesn't drive, she got into bother accepting an offer for loft insulation which was from a cold call.  In the end her son stepped in to stop this firm taking money from her account.  She'd foolishly agreed to have her loft done and had given them her bank details.  I told her about the mobile message I'd had last week, I hope she took it in !! :rolleyes:

klondike

We had to rescue my mother from a few shysters. We stopped the expensive burglar alarm installer but were too late on the hearing aid bloke who sold her one for £5k which never worked properly and she didn't wear eventually.