What have you been watching...

Started by zoony, April 30, 2022, 05:04:49 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 07, 2023, 07:10:04 PMThere is so much choice on Netflix.. Amazon.. Disney..
As well as iPlayer ...  I have these should I need them..
My family add me on their list ....
I seldom use them.. but it is good to know that they are available..
 I could never watch anything with sub-titles.. My reading is not quick enough.. By the time I have read the sub-titles the scene is over..

Scrumps you might like Women At War on Netflix it's not sub titles, it's dubbed into English

Jacqueline

Why set something in a Victorian London that doesn't represent the times? I am a bit of an historical accuracy freak, I remember pointing out Laura Ashley wall paper in a Dickins film, I scan the sets to see if they are accurate to the times, you'd be surprised how many blunders they make.  So these black people in places they would never have been really annoy me, if you want modern day black London have the films set in these times.

Michael Rolls

totally agree - I'm the same. Veronica used to utter long suffering sighs when I moaned about firearms, especially, out of time and place - Colt 1873 SAAs appearing years before their time, Baker and Caine brandishing Mk VI Webleys, which didn't appear until 1915 in Zulu set it 1879, etc.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 07, 2023, 07:10:04 PMThere is so much choice on Netflix.. Amazon.. Disney..
As well as iPlayer ...  I have these should I need them..
My family add me on their list ....
I seldom use them.. but it is good to know that they are available..
 I could never watch anything with sub-titles.. My reading is not quick enough.. By the time I have read the sub-titles the scene is over..
I rely on subtitles on a lot of programmes because I have rubbish hearing,and sometimes the dialogue isn't clear, or even worse, there's music in the background.  Don't go deaf Scrumpy!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 07, 2023, 07:10:04 PMI could never watch anything with sub-titles.. My reading is not quick enough.. By the time I have read the sub-titles the scene is over..
I find them very distracting. Even the Korean ones (basically a load of squiggles) which sometimes appear hard coded on early release stuff downloaded courtesy of Zoony's Video Emporium. I wait and get something without them a bit later.

Michael Rolls

I agree that they distracting - I would much rather be able to do without them, but for me they are an unwelcome necessity
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I chose hearing aids instead...

Finished Happy Valley season 3 and enjoyed it. Can't wait til next year when my mate Al Zheimer assures me it will be all sparkly fresh for me once again.

I read that there is to be a season 3 of Fawlty Towers. The first two seasons were so good I'm not sure it will be possible to bring it off. I'm guessing that maybe John Cleese has divorced yet again and is a little short on the readies.

Michael Rolls

I've tried several different types of hearing aids over the years - sadly, for me, none work.
[email protected]

klondike

Have you tried the NHS route? My mother paid thousands for an aid that didn't work. We found out after inheriting the house that the phone line was faulty which explained one of her problems.

I mostly only wear them for listening to TV. The difference is immediately obvious. The stuff stays on the shelves for one thing.

Michael Rolls

I've had three NHS sets over the years plus £3,200 for a private set - no good, but I got my money back. I just don't understand why aids just don't work for me. The NHS clinic tried all sorts of 'tuning' but all it did was accentuate the high frequencies to the point that the noise of dropping a piece of cutlery just about sent me into orbit and human speech was still poor. What I further don't understand is that some TV comes through loud and clear - on YouTube some clips are totally hopeless, others are clear - but it's all human voice. It makes being in a group situation with several folk all talking really miserable. Having other folk wearing a mask made it even worse.
[email protected]

klondike

Having other folk wearing a mask made it even worse.

I suspect that's more unconscious lip reading than muffling.

I have no problems with presenters or documentaries it's just films and series. It may be background music I suppose. The aids don't fix everything but help a lot. They do have a fault which I'll ask about when I go back - I think the RH one is clipping at high volumes as I get an annoying clicking. Oddly enough this is most evident when I'm taking a leak.

I can't tolerate subtitle though. I'd rather give upon something than endure them.

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on February 08, 2023, 06:58:32 PMIt makes being in a group situation with several folk all talking really miserable. Having other folk wearing a mask made it even worse.
I struggle a bit in group settings with a noisy background too, or sometimes when I'm not aware that someone's speaking to me.

Face-to-face, TV etc & I'm fine.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I had a meeting the other day (I'm involved in a housing thing) on Teams.  Sat in my dining room, using my iPad, I could see and hear everyone clearly. In a real meeting, I can't hear people behind me very well, and people tend to talk over each other.  On Teams you signal you want to speak, it works well for me.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Saturday 8pm. Tune in to the first GB News Investigates documentary.

Grooming Gangs: Britain's Shame.

klondike

Season 2 of Clarkson's Farm has started on Amazon Prime.