will we see the return of the pawn brokers.

Started by alfred, August 07, 2022, 08:36:11 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

What with everything going upas the cost of living is for many people becoming  a desperate situation  will we see the return of the pawn broker ,much like many years ago where the dad pawn his suite and purchased it back ready for the week end only tore pawn it the following Monday,

Q; do you remembering hearing stories about  pawn brokers and what people pawned in those days  , so could it happen  again today in the 21st century 
what are your thoughts and will you share them with us,

-Oy-

There are pawn brokers in most large town centres. "Cash Converters" is an example with 180 stores across the country.  

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/borrow/pawnbroking
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Ashy

I think compared to our grandparents, we tend to have more possessions to sell than they did. Indeed in their day you couldn't get national assistance until you had sold almost everything.

Scrumpy

I remember my Mum's wedding ring was often in the pawn shop..
Hard times back then for many.. My mum bought us up on her own.. No father.. No help..
She worked damned hard.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

My Granny used to take "the auld fella's " suit to the pawn shop wrapped up in brown paper and tied with string :wink:  She used to call him the 'auld fella' from what my Mum told me, he wasn't very good to her .

Scrumpy

Men's suits often went into the pawn shop on a Monday and came back out ready to be worn for church on a Sunday..
Looking into the pawn shop window as a child was like looking into Aladdin's Cave..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..