New race..

Started by Scrumpy, December 23, 2022, 07:57:35 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Quote from: Cassandra on December 26, 2022, 01:16:00 PMWell anyone's welcome here. I've had lots of emails and texts over the last 24 hours from the UK, concerned over news reports about the weather out here. We here have so far been lucky, compared to New York State and Washington, also areas of Canada. For example Buffalo (NYS) where they've experienced at least 40 ins of snow is only 400 miles away and it appears that the storm is reportedly 2,000 miles wide? Yet somehow, apart from severe icing,  we are barely effected? About an inch of snow with very little accumulation so far, I think the lake somehow provides shelter to the shores hereabouts. That said we can get a foot in an hour apparently and its presently (9am) minus 18c, going down!

Yesterday we managed (thanks to the sleigh) to visit 9 different homesteads within a ten mile round trip, delivering presents from family to family. Getting three onboard was a bit of a squeeze, but we managed it with my friend steering and Annie on my lap. It was somehow offensive to have our engine's sound be-spoiling the crisp silence?

We had a full tank of fuel, packed a couple of shovels on the back and carried rugs, an onboard kettle and Turkey sandwiches (just in case), plus a walkie talkie direct to my relatives, in the event that we became stranded. However apart form a few flurries here and there we proceeded fluently and without mishap. A day I'll never forget.

Minus 18C geez hope you've got plenty of thermals Cass, your day sounds wonderful. :upvote: