Fibre

Started by klondike, December 23, 2022, 03:11:40 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

I was recommended to increase my fibre intake.

I don't mind raw carrot which Google tells me is a good source of dietary fibre. I bought a bag.

So how much do I need to nosh?

Women should try to eat at least 21 to 25 grams of fiber a day, while men should aim for 30 to 38 grams a day.
Carrot, raw 1 medium 1.5gm fibre

So all I need to do is eat about a kilo of raw carrots each day.
I wonder if the Donald's doc advised more fibre?

Sheila

I start the day well with fruit, nuts etc.  Asda's figs in the green packet are lovely and the apricots are good too.  They are in the baking section, not the fresh fruit one.  Add porridge, nuts and seeds and you would be doing very well.  
I had to have a cholesterol test and the GP said it was high but when she looked at the different levels, my good cholesterol was very high and she put it down to my breakfast.

GrannyMac

I have fruit, nut and seeds muesli with an Activia prune yoghurt most mornings.  In the summer I have soft fruit too. Wholemeal seeded bread at lunch quite often too. Don't like raw carrot.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Diasi

When I saw a thread entitled Fibre, started by Klondike, I assumed it would be about broadband.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Klondy were your hospital tests ok then,  just eat more fibre ?   :upvote:

klondike

Ok the story as it seems I have no major issues...

Annual blood test. As usual I get nurse to ensure there is a PSA test requested because I know I have an enlarged prostate having been prescribed pills for the symptoms in 2017 although there was never any test.

Anyhow it seems that on this occasion the PSA test was done and the doctor actually looked at it as I was phoned to tell me a fast track appointment had been made for me at the hospital and I'd be getting a call from the urology department.

During the call I was told that my PSA level was high and had been since it was first taken and had risen every year so I had been booked in for an MRI scan. I got the distinct impression that I should have been tested back in 2017.

The scan showed an enlarged prostate with no sign of cancer. The nice young lady registrar still persuaded me to let her do the old fashioned test and that was OK too. Then she said that there was also signs of an irregularity in my colon and arranged for a closer look by the endoscopy mob next door who booked me in.

The colonoscopy revealed I have diverticulosis (what the MRI had suggested) not life threatening and there is no real fix. This was why they recommend more fibre. There were also some polyps one of which they whipped out but for some reason unexplained booked me in for another one to take the other two out. That joy is still to come on 28th. Polyps aren't life threatening either but can possibly become cancerous over a long period.

So I seem to have been getting my monies worth out of the NHS having made many visits to the hospital getting tests, getting results and  picking up the disgusting muck that clears you out for a colonoscopy. I also got a bonus stinking cold and hacking cough almost certainly during the huge wait for the MRI result when they ran almost 3 hours late although the actual tests so far have been pretty much on time.

I am very far from impressed with my GP and will likely move to another.

GrannyMac

Glad nothing life threatening, but it does seem your GP has missed a trick or two! I've had a couple of camera jobs, the disgusting muck is just that. Yuk. Hope you're recovering from your bonus cold.

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Cold won't be infectious now and apart from the annoying nose and bad cough was never overly severe but certainly something I could have done without. First cold I've had in several years I think.

One thing I forgot to mention was I did the bowel screening test (which we used to call poo sticks) less than a month before this and that was clear. As it is supposed to reveal polyps it makes me wonder just how much use it is.

Scrumpy

I too have Diverticulitis.. It is no big problem but a misery when it flares up..

So many cold/flu symptoms around.. My family have all been knocked for six with the cough/sore throat/ bug.. They seem to be free from symptoms now.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..