Not many people know this.

Started by Scrumpy, April 08, 2024, 11:13:42 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Did you know.

Canadians say 'sorry' so much that a law was passed in2009 declaring that an apology can't be used as evidence of admission of guilt.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Ashy

I would like to say right here and now that I didn't know that.

klondike

It does make sense though. Lots of things get said that are just courtesies. Do you really expect or want a full health report if you say "How are you doing" to somebody. Ok, not too bad or a touch of a cold should be about it. Speaking as a bloke of course - might be different with the ladies.

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on April 08, 2024, 11:13:42 AMDid you know.

Canadians say 'sorry' so much that a law was passed in2009 declaring that an apology can't be used as evidence of admission of guilt.
Good point, actually, especially in these very litigious days!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

In London, someone says sorry when they want you to move out of the way. It's not the English because we would say "Would you mind...?" or "Excuse me", or even "Are you going to sand there much longer?" but never sorry.

muddy

I didn't know that either .
While there are some delightful Canadians as a nation they seem to be rather too smug and pleased with themsleves .
At least they did before they got a weirdo for a Prime Minister .

JBR

Quote from: muddy on April 09, 2024, 01:33:45 PMI didn't know that either .
While there are some delightful Canadians as a nation they seem to be rather too smug and pleased with themsleves .
At least they did before they got a weirdo for a Prime Minister .
The trouble with the Canadians is that they can't make up their minds whether to be British or French!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Raven

We have one here in the Scottish Government, power sharing with the SNP and causing bother messing with things. Lorna Slater is a Canadian and a mouthy mare IMO.