Will we really do it?

Started by klondike, September 01, 2023, 10:44:38 AM

« previous - next »

Weapons Grade

Quote from: Diasi on September 11, 2023, 10:11:35 AMAnd the real kicking given to those of us who reached State Pension age a few years ago was the change in the rules whereby new retirees get a higher basic State Pension for 10 years fewer NI contributions.

Plus the scrapping of the married couple's adult dependent allowance of £50 per week back in 2010.
In any changes you can bet it's to reduce social spending costs which the conservatives are experts at doing. It's why I'd prefer Labour to have a go. Perhaps nothing will change, but the ordinary peasant in the street hasn't benefitted from the conservative years. It's all very well complaining, but it seems to me that the ones now complaing the most are the ones who voted for the mess we're in.  

Truss, who single handedly nearly wrecked the economy in less than two months, Boris the pathological liar and now Rishi the invisble man, himself under investigation for corruption – what else did we expect?

GrannyMac

Diasi, I can't believe the government got away with the 2 tier pension! We've both observed how unfair it is to pensioners with modest extra pensions who miss out on PC and its add ons by a few quid.

Now that all workplaces must offer pensions, I don't think state pensions as we know them will exist at some point in the future. 

Time to ensure our grandchildren are savvy about money!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

No good teaching them how to rob banks though. They'll all be closed by the time they retire.

Raven

Quote from: klondike on September 11, 2023, 11:45:11 AMNo good teaching them how to rob banks though. They'll all be closed by the time they retire.

Never a truer word spoken in jest. :rofl:

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on September 11, 2023, 11:35:33 AMDiasi, I can't believe the government got away with the 2 tier pension! We've both observed how unfair it is to pensioners with modest extra pensions who miss out on PC and its add ons by a few quid.

Now that all workplaces must offer pensions, I don't think state pensions as we know them will exist at some point in the future. 

Time to ensure our grandchildren are savvy about money!

I get my UK Pension over here. However the first £46.12, weekly doesn't qualify for the yearly review, but I doubt many have noticed. So that turns the present 10% upgrade into 7%. Why, because I was born prior to January 1951! How indescribably miserly and mean - Damn the flat headed bastards that are the 'Remonaner Majority', in what has become a left-wing Social Dumocrat party.

I've decided to register to vote, having previously considered it unreasonable to do so in a Country I no longer live in. However this bunch of moronic retards have decided me otherwise.

I'll vote for Reform, because all the others are cheats and second rate liars and at least in a small way I can hopefully contribute to seeing the Tories down to about a 140 seat party and watching elementaries like Schapps, Tobias Windbag and all the other EU loving ensemble deflated. For the body to survive, parts must be sacrificially rent asunder.

They must be outed, whatever the dreadful alternative the other idiots have become.

"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals"

William Shakespeare

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

140 seats? You reckon they'll get 140 seats?

Possibly if they called an election now but they'll hang on another year hoping things get better. They won't imo and when the election does come they could be down to double digits. I've said before that this seems to me very like a rerun of the Major government that resulted in the Blair landslide. They certainly seem to be even less popular. Their only slight glimmer at the end of the tunnel  being that Starmer is no Blair of the late 90s. If the Blair of the 20s appears it may give the Tories a seat or two.

What they actually deserve is maybe a single digit as there are some Tory MPs that I consider OK.

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on September 11, 2023, 06:43:50 PM140 seats? You reckon they'll get 140 seats?

Possibly if they called an election now but they'll hang on another year hoping things get better. They won't imo and when the election does come they could be down to double digits. I've said before that this seems to me very like a rerun of the Major government that resulted in the Blair landslide. They certainly seem to be even less popular. Their only slight glimmer at the end of the tunnel  being that Starmer is no Blair of the late 90s. If the Blair of the 20s appears it may give the Tories a seat or two.

What they actually deserve is maybe a single digit as there are some Tory MPs that I consider OK.

Yes I reckon there's around 125 - that are what they purport to be, (Conservatives), then about 30 being full blown Liberals and the rest are Globalists. This last group, who believe they've taken over by osmotically absorbing the party are to me delusional. Its the people who vote and they are increasingly seeing through them. By the end of an El Nino cold winter, with elevated power costs, strike trauma and Ulez charges I feel the great British Public will rebel at the ballot box. Rishi Sunak's will only be remembered in the future as an answer in Pub Quizzes under 'Political Oddities'.

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on September 11, 2023, 06:43:50 PM140 seats? You reckon they'll get 140 seats?

I fear that many vote from only by habit, not seeing past the tirade of lies that supposedly suggest that everything in the garden is Rosy. These will trade on 'Not being Labour' and I reckon the worse Starmer becomes the 'Tories' will salvage a few seats. So by hobbling together their crumbling Remoaner rump and those terrified of the Bolshevik Labour hordes, lead by the likes of David Lammy forcefully compelling Asylum Seekers into their homes etc, they maybe could only lose 120 seats. The interesting point will be the split of MP types left. This time we presume the Remoaner left will have the majority of the losses, it could however just mean an equal depression of both sides. Then all those who were elected in as the 'good guys' could 'cross the floor' to say Reform and leave the Tories down to say 75 seats for five years. Some of their present outstanding arseholes would still be there, but completely anaesthetised by the split? Hopefully the machine can dispel these dangerous Machiavellians and can once again 'unite' and address the real remit of the Tory party as we knew it.

It would be a time of minority parties with no overall control to the beloved 'toolmaker's son'.

Whatever happens it needs to be ruthlessly cathartic, so a strong vivacious leader is vital.

Ashy

History suggests that a government that has run out of steam might win the next election with a minority and cling on. Alternatively the former opposition may win a landslide, but I really don't see the present labour party as being landslide material. Looks like one lot relying on Micawberism and the other lot relying on snookers.

klondike

The polls are sometimes wrong but they'd need to be very very wrong for the current government to get re-elected.

It's been a long time since we had a Labour government and when we did they had the get out of jail free card of the banking collapse. I reckon there are plenty that will take a punt on them given the bloody shambles we have now with nothing working and a cost of living crisis. I don't think there is time for this to heal itself and the current Tory party are incapable of doing anything to fix it.

Michael Rolls

I think that it is simply that the current 'Tory' so called party are simply incapable
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Weapons Grade on September 11, 2023, 11:08:26 AMIn any changes you can bet it's to reduce social spending costs which the conservatives are experts at doing. It's why I'd prefer Labour to have a go. Perhaps nothing will change, but the ordinary peasant in the street hasn't benefitted from the conservative years. It's all very well complaining, but it seems to me that the ones now complaing the most are the ones who voted for the mess we're in. 
It was Labour who scrapped the State Pension adult dependent allowance in April 2010, robbing my wife & me of £50 per week for the 9 years we were married before she died. 
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Weapons Grade

Quote from: Diasi on September 12, 2023, 10:45:07 AMIt was Labour who scrapped the State Pension adult dependent allowance in April 2010, robbing my wife & me of £50 per week for the 9 years we were married before she died.
And did the Conservatives remedy that when they got in? That was thirteen years ago. Look at the poverty rates now under the Conservatives. Nothing is going to get any better under the Tories, they're a spent force. Perhaps Labour will be just as useless, but my opinion is why not give them a go.