Garden Waste Collections

Started by Alex, March 01, 2024, 10:49:58 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

I've just paid for my grass cuttings to be collected every fortnight.  Last year it was £40, this year it's £50 !   My next door neighbour and I had toyed with the idea of sharing the cost and using one bin, but the gardens are too long so it wasn't feasible.  No choice but to pay up as humping black bags to the tip wasn't an option.

Just wondering what other councils are charging.

Scrumpy

My garden waste now stands at 68 pounds...
 I can't remember it ever being 40..50.. 
Obviously the grass is greener here and it costs more.. :smiley: :smiley: 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Keep chickens. You won't have any grass left and can eat the eggs.

If the garden is really big maybe sheep.

Silver Tabby

Our fortnightly garden waste collection was always free.  There have been rumours of an imminent charge but no formal conformation yet.

dextrous63

Nothing is free, but the cost is embedded somewhere within the Council Tax, so there's no additional charge.

Raven

Ours has been £40 for the past few years. It really angers me as I feel it's just another way for the Council to milk you dry. It was always free before some silly ass decided it was a way to make money.

dextrous63

Our council made money by reducing garden collections from once a week during summer to once per fortnight (started this during Covid, and haven't got round to reversing it)

GrannyMac

£63.30.  Our garden is small, not much grass.  We either give it next door to compost (he grows veg) or bag and bin it in normal waste. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I know ours was £40 when they announced it but I never joined as I don't get enough garden waste to justify the cost. The little I do get is bagged and hidden in the landfill bin. Perhaps it will rot and genertate a little methane so warming the planet and reduce my bloody gas bill but I rather doubt it.

I thought that they composted it and actually made a profit from collecting it. If they don't then they should.

JBR

We have a moderately sized lawn and consequently can manage to tip the grass cuttings into a compost bin (along with certain kitchen waste items).
Having said that, Marge has decided that she (and for my own part, I too) is becoming less able to do much of the garden maintenance jobs, so has been looking for a part-time gardener to help.

I, however, shall still continue my maintenance of the pond which, as usual at this time, will require pond plants trimming, the net replacing, the pond cleaning, the filters and UV lamp replacing, the false heron reinstating and, of course, the goldfish feeding when the temperature rises above 10 degrees!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

I wonder if they would like the bill for storing the bin?

klondike

If you mean mine I don't have it. They were supposed to be collecting them so I put it out. It stayed out for ages but eventually disappeared.

Michael Rolls

£40 per bin here - I have two
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]