Strawberries

Started by JBR, June 27, 2023, 10:43:07 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

Marge is a brilliant gardener and, among her successes, is a strawberry patch.
This year, they have exceeded all expectations, and we have been having strawberries to eat almost every day.  
Yesterday evening, there was a great pile of them in a container in the fridge, to which she drew my attention.  She didn't want any, so I was 'instructed' to eat them all.  I could barely get them all into one of our largest bowls, then a little cream on top.  They were excellent.

What I didn't realise until this morning is that strawberries are a diuretic.

Last night: 3.05am, 5.10am, 6.55am, then at 9.10am.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Sounds pretty normal to me  :grin:

1955vintage

A small price to pay for God's own fruit.

Whenever I return to Kent, I look for strawberries or cherries..............the best, if in season.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Alex

I love strawberries too, great if you can buy locally grown.  Last week I bought some in M & S they were grown in Yorkshire and were delicious.

JBR

klondike

It was before I got some pills that helped. My days of making it through the night without having to go are long gone. Still are but the next one is at a more civilised hour now.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on June 27, 2023, 08:59:42 PMIt was before I got some pills that helped. My days of making it through the night without having to go are long gone. Still are but the next one is at a more civilised hour now.
I'm not assuming that the entire membership of this forum are desperate to hear this, but I can usually expect to go twice overnight under normal circumstances.  3am and 7am are typical event times.
Four hours between is what I accept, but not every two hours!

I sometimes think that a catheter would ensure an uninterrupted night's sleep!

Sheila

Oops!  Alex, I think we are going to Claremont Farm today (near Clatterbridge).  They grow strawberries so should be very fresh.  There is a good butcher there too.

JBR

Quote from: Sheila on June 28, 2023, 09:15:13 AMOops!  Alex, I think we are going to Claremont Farm today (near Clatterbridge).  They grow strawberries so should be very fresh.  There is a good butcher there too.
Marge tells me that we're getting toward the end of the strawberry season now...
at least in our garden.

Alex

Quote from: Sheila on June 28, 2023, 09:15:13 AMOops!  Alex, I think we are going to Claremont Farm today (near Clatterbridge).  They grow strawberries so should be very fresh.  There is a good butcher there too.

Thanks Sheila, I'll give that a try next time I'm up that way.  I went to a PYO place yesterday at Holt near Farndon it was called Bellis Brothers.  The PYO was closed, not that I wanted to break my back picking  :smiley:    The punnets of ready picked were gone,  sold out by 10am the fella was telling me, a good butcher's shop there too. I came out with Savoury Ducks, remember those ?  and tomato sausages. 
I do remember going to Farndon when I was a kid to pick strawberries.

morty

I've always fancied PYO but there isn't anywhere local that still does it in my neck of the woods ..

But strawberries yes...yummy ...with a big dollop of ice cream on top.
I can eat them till they come out of my ears. Raspberries too.

funny I always associate it with wimbledown but it's not starting till next week. I can't remember it beginning in July before.