Doctors

Started by klondike, Today at 08:12:35 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Have a non emergency issue but one I'd like to discuss in a reasonable time.

No routine appointments showing at all. It's a phone and hope. There used to be an online form for this sort of thing but it seems to have gone. Luckily my GP is one registered for the Livi app. Got booked in for online video appointment for 11am today.

What I wonder is why do we have GPs at all. They seem to do SFA or at least the ones I'm with.

Scrumpy

I don't even know what my doctor looks like.. or what he/she is called..

It must be absolute misery for those who are sick and can't even see a doctor.. 
Even a follow-up can take months.. Sad times..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

We must be well in the way to developing AI diagnoses and subsequent medication prescriptions and/or referrals, hopefully with a human being keeping a check on things to mimimise errors.

Can envisage the day where automated AI body scanners are readily available, which will be able to identify potential anomalies. 

JBR

I believe that one problem is that some people, perhaps many, hopefully pop in to the doctor's hoping for treatment for nothing more than a snivel.  Of course, they have to be seen, but unfortunately those with potentially dangerous symptoms are not seen quickly enough.  As a nation, we now seem to have lost any common sense these days.

One solution, which I believe goes on in our GP practice, is for patients to be seen by an 'associate practitioner', a qualified person who may have been a nurse or possibly someone under training, to see the routine matters.  This makes a lot of sense, as they can identify real problems which really need attention.

However, I'm sure that some GP practices rely on unqualified receptionists to make decisions as whether a patient may be seen by a doctor.

On the other hand, I know that there are several GPs in my local practice and we are fortunate that, unlike some places, they are accessible when needed.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Livi appointment was delayed a bit. Said needs examination. Phoned surgery. Amazingly that might be today. I'd better get dressed.

Scrumpy

... and put a clean vest on.
Quote from: klondike on Today at 11:49:07 AMLivi appointment was delayed a bit. Said needs examination. Phoned surgery. Amazingly that might be today. I'd better get dressed.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on Today at 10:50:57 AMI believe that one problem is that some people, perhaps many, hopefully pop in to the doctor's hoping for treatment for nothing more than a snivel.  Of course, they have to be seen, but unfortunately those with potentially dangerous symptoms are not seen quickly enough.  As a nation, we now seem to have lost any common sense these days.

One solution, which I believe goes on in our GP practice, is for patients to be seen by an 'associate practitioner', a qualified person who may have been a nurse or possibly someone under training, to see the routine matters.  This makes a lot of sense, as they can identify real problems which really need attention.

However, I'm sure that some GP practices rely on unqualified receptionists to make decisions as whether a patient may be seen by a doctor.

On the other hand, I know that there are several GPs in my local practice and we are fortunate that, unlike some places, they are accessible when needed.
We have an excellent local pharmacy who we can rely on for advice on basic ailments.  Am not 100% certain, but I believe that when we tell the GP surgery that the pharmacist has told us to Dee the doctor, they're more willing to help.

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on Today at 12:30:04 PM.. and put a clean vest on.
I never said which bit they want to look at...

GrannyMac

We have a walk in centre in town. I've gone there when I couldn't get in at our GP surgery.  Once after I rang 111, I knew I needed a prescription for antibiotics and they obliged.  I didn't see a doctor, it was an ACP (Advanced Clinical Practitioner) who was excellent.  Effective and economical use of highly qualified nurses IMO.  There are doctors for more complex issues.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Seems my appointment may be tomorrow.

No walks ins here other than A&E.

Mups

Quote from: Scrumpy on Today at 09:14:29 AMI don't even know what my doctor looks like.. or what he/she is called..

It must be absolute misery for those who are sick and can't even see a doctor..
Even a follow-up can take months.. Sad times..

You're not kidding -  I was referred for physio in March, and have been told it will not be until at least next December!

I told them I could have snuffed it before then.   :rolleyes: