Irrational fears.

Started by Silver Tabby, March 29, 2024, 09:02:35 PM

« previous - next »

Silver Tabby

I don't mean things like heights or thunderstorms which can harm you - but things which scate you for no apparent reason.

Mine are clowns and monkeys.  To the best of my knowledge neither of them have ever done me harm - but I canot bear to be in the same room with them.  Even soft toys or pictures of them unnerve me.

Another one - which is even sillier - is the chimes of Big Ben.  Gives me the shivers.  I have to switch off the radio when they are due!

Alex

oooh Big Ben is a strange one  :sad:   My fear is spiders and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Silver Tabby

I much prefer spiders to Big Ben!

Scrumpy

Being late for an appointment.. It's like a military maneuver when I have to be somewhere at a certain time.. I'm always early.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Me too Scrumpy!   :waiting: Where are you (a minute after we're supposed to meet!)

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I must be a big butch macho sort of guy as I don't seem to have any irrational fears. I'm not fond of spiders nor snakes come to that but neither turn me to a gibbering wreck. Heights don't especially bother me although I do take more care up ladders these days. I think I must be abnormal and find that a worry   :shocked:

JBR

The natural things which I fear are wasps.
Bees are OK, but wasps are very quick to attack if you accidentally go too near to them.

One hot day, years ago, I was up on the conservatory roof wearing a T-shirt, cleaning out the gutters and painting some water repellent, when I felt a sting in my arm pit.  A nosy wasp had ventured in and must have been squashed (involuntarily).

Of course, I don't go out of my way to kill them; just avoid them.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Silver Tabby

Quote from: JBR on March 30, 2024, 11:03:32 AMThe natural things which I fear are wasps.
Bees are OK, but wasps are very quick to attack if you accidentally go too near to them.

One hot day, years ago, I was up on the conservatory roof wearing a T-shirt, cleaning out the gutters and painting some water repellent, when I felt a sting in my arm pit.  A nosy wasp had ventured in and must have been squashed (involuntarily).

Ouch - very painful.  They are fascinating creatures though.

klondike

Quote from: JBR on March 30, 2024, 11:03:32 AMOf course, I don't go out of my way to kill them; just avoid them.
You don't want them nesting in your roof. I called a pest controller the first time and watched what he did. The next time I got shot of them myself. They can nest underground too. They are a lot harder to get rid of there as I found out. when I got stung but they were dealt with eventually just with the powder. Wasps and people are not good companions - especially when you have young children or grandchildren around.

JBR

Quote from: Silver Tabby on March 30, 2024, 11:47:54 AMOuch - very painful.  They are fascinating creatures though.
Yes, they are all God's creatures (although I'm an atheist!), and have a right to exist.  I'm sure they also do some good, though I'm not entirely sure what that is.  I just prefer to avoid them whenever possible, and I'm sure they would agree with that.

What is rather more worrying is the news that there are some even larger and meaner versions - 'Asian hornets?'- which have been reported as having begun to appear darn sarf.

As long as they don't come up here, that's OK.  One small advantage of living in the 'frozen North'.

Mups

Quote from: JBR on March 30, 2024, 11:03:32 AMThe natural things which I fear are wasps.

Same here, JBR.

I have never liked Wasps since one went down the back of my shirt and stung me as a kid.
Can't be in the same room as one.

Wasps and Rats I could happily exterminate.

Scrumpy

I can't face anything dead in the garden.. Like a bird..
My neighbour will come and remove it.. But he doesn't put it in my bin because he knows that I wouldn't go near it..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

You would have freaked out here the other week then when a sparrowhawk had her pigeon pie by my back gate.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on April 01, 2024, 10:11:40 AMYou would have freaked out here the other week then when a sparrowhawk had her pigeon pie by my back gate.
I had that happen some time ago.  I saw it on our security camera.  Fortunately, one of our cats appeared behind the French window and the sparrowhawk thought better of it and flew off, followed by the lucky pigeon I'm happy to say.
Although I suppose this is just nature: survival of the fittest.

klondike

In my case the pigeon's flying days were over. I used the CCTV to see if I could find any remains easily as in a different house a hawk had been disturbed and left a carcass. The meal had been finished behind the summer house and only feathers were left which my leaf sucker sorted out.