The first of the 'Borrowing Days' !

Started by Silver Tabby, March 29, 2024, 05:34:57 PM

« previous - next »

Silver Tabby

The last three days of March, which are often cold and stormy, are said to have been borrowed from April.

"March borrowed from April
 three days, and they were ill.
 The first was snow and sleet,
 the next was cold and weet.
 The third was sic a freeze
 the birds' nebs stuck to the trees"

GrannyMac

Never heard that before.  Today certainly fits, I got drenched at lunchtime, and its been cold and windy.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Silver Tabby

I found it in an old book of Folklore -love things like that.

Alex

New one on me too :grin:   Once the clocks go forward Sunday, we'll see an improvement in the weather. :cool:

Silver Tabby

Quote from: Alex on March 29, 2024, 09:29:09 PMOnce the clocks go forward Sunday, we'll see an improvement in the weather. :cool:

Is that a promise?

klondike

Good job you mentioned that. What a calamity if I'd forgotten.

I reckon these days I could go a week without realising as most of my stuff changes automatically and I already have some clocks that don't automatically update running on summer time as I didn't bother changing them back in November.

Scrumpy

Clocks forward one hour.. We have the better weather to look forward to.. I went to the car this morning and the birds were all going it.. The sun is coming through..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

The clock in the car will be right again tomorrow! 😁
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

klondike

Quote from: GrannyMac on March 30, 2024, 07:35:26 AMThe clock in the car will be right again tomorrow! 😁
One of my cars (maybe the Peugot) used to get the time automatically. Probably from the radio. It's annoying having to change them and mine often get left these days.

JBR

Quote from: Silver Tabby on March 29, 2024, 05:34:57 PMThe last three days of March, which are often cold and stormy, are said to have been borrowed from April.

"March borrowed from April
 three days, and they were ill.
 The first was snow and sleet,
 the next was cold and weet.
 The third was sic a freeze
 the birds' nebs stuck to the trees"
That's a word I haven't heard for some time.
Neb = nose, in local dialectic use.  Keep tha neb aht!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Quote from: GrannyMac on March 30, 2024, 07:35:26 AMThe clock in the car will be right again tomorrow! 😁

Mine too !!!  too much of a pfaff to change it  :grin:

Silver Tabby

Quote from: JBR on March 30, 2024, 10:50:25 AMThat's a word I haven't heard for some time.
Neb = nose, in local dialectic use.  Keep tha neb aht!

LOL.  I aim to please!

JBR

Quote from: Alex on March 30, 2024, 11:26:18 AMMine too !!!  too much of a pfaff to change it  :grin:
Oh God!  Yes, I'd almost forgotten.

Now I'm going to have to go around changing all the clocks tomorrow.
The computers, the phones, and a couple of clocks which change automatically via t'internet are OK, but I also have a few traditional clocks, including a cuckoo clock and a mains-powered clock I picked up (er, and paid for) from a 'junk shop' a few years ago.  
This latter clock keeps excellent time due to the frequency of the mains electricity being kept very accurate at 50Hz.

I look forward to the day when this completely unnecessary 'daylight saving time' is consigned to the dustbin.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

Some people think having summer time permanently would be a good thing, especially for the hospitality and entertainments industry. It would also save fuel.