Investigation into Vet Costs.

Started by Raven, March 12, 2024, 08:21:51 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

I am so pleased about this, it's long overdue IMO. I know vets are highly skilled but they are way too greedy. On Breakfast TV earlier they were talking about it and one man was going through his bill item by item, he was charged £20 for a pack of Paracetamol, you can get a pack in Tesco for 39p ffs. That's pure rip off. I know what I've had to stump up for Dageus the last 3 years and it's ridiculous.

https://news.sky.com/story/vet-prices-investigation-over-concerns-pet-owners-being-overcharged-13093017

muddy

What annoys me is the reluctance to give out medicine without a four month review.
When a dog has a chronic condition and needs pain medication but they won't give the prescription without a review even if the dog is very old and there is no cure .
My neighbours old dog was such a case .
It was 17 years old and had the usual diseases of old age .
This dog was of very difficult and uncertain temper and the vet never touched it just looked and gave them a prescription .
Eventually it could no longer get into the car to go to the vet 
I tried to help them with ramps but the poor old dog couldn't do it .These were two people of nearly 80 who could not life the dog into the car even if it had allowed them .
It was a really difficult dog and they had adopted it out of pity from a shelter where it had languished for 3 years owing to its difficult  temperament.
Eventually they told the vet they could no longer bring it to the surgery every four months and they were reluctantly sold the pain medication . 
My own dog ( also adopted ) has hip dsypasia and arthritis .
There is no cure but pain medication .
They won't sell it to me  it me without a four month from their vet .
When I am in Spain where vet fees are much lower I  buy the monthly injection and bring it home and give it myself .
It's expensive but not as expensive as paying the vet just to sell you the medication.

Alex

This is good news, my son has a scheme through the vet, but it still costs a fortune each month for my grand-dogs.  They're Beagles and were quite a handful, mellowing a little now at 7 and 8 years old.

How is Dageus now Raven ?

Raven

Dageus is fine thanks Alex, he still has the stitches in his eyelids though, I thought they would have fell out by now.

Diasi

Pleased to hear that Raven.

Our vet's has been taken over by a corporate group but their prices are still reasonable.

Last week one of the cats had an ingrowing claw so I took him to the vets who trimmed all his claws & bandaged the affected paw.

The cost was £22 which I thought was ok.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

muddy

Our vets - George vets which is a franchise - charge you for taking a deep breath 

klondike

We were lucky with our Yorkies money wise. One met a very swift downfall at age 16 which was sad as that's no real age for a Yorkie but she had been pretty healthy up til then with no big bills. 

Her daughter did need long term medication but the vet we were with did not charge for consultations for repeats and from what I remember the price didn't seem particularly high. I think the vets was some sort of composite practice with self employed vets operating under their umbrella. The older vet who we always saw if she was available charged considerably less for a consultation than one of the younger ones so we always got the repeats through her.

Alex

I've just read about a man who took his dog to a French vet and saved thousands of £s  he said a UK vet quoted him £5,318 for surgery and aftercare when Flash, his eight-year-old Beagle, suffered a leg injury during a holiday in France.

But he was left "gobsmacked" when he took the dog to a local vet in the alpine town of Bourg-Saint-Maurice who said the same treatment would cost just £1,493.

Kent Live