Wind energy

Started by klondike, February 07, 2024, 04:34:58 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

I remember when BNFL was the best in the world !

klondike

We get told a lot of things here are....

JBR

Quote from: Alex on February 09, 2024, 12:40:52 PMI remember when BNFL was the best in the world !
We were one of the very first to develop nuclear power plants and installations.

We still make our own (Rolls Royce) for use in our nuclear-powered (and nuclear-armed) submarines.

Despite that, our glorious leaders are still hesitating in building such units throughout the country to provide reliable and safe electrical generation.
At the same time, they are trying to encourage us all to buy electric cars!  🤣🤣🤣
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Quote from: klondike on February 09, 2024, 01:17:08 PMWe get told a lot of things here are....

But they were the best until 'bits'  were sold off.

klondike

Probably. Once.

We used to have a working NHS.
We used to have a working postal service.
We used to have...  A lot of things that worked but not anymore.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on February 09, 2024, 09:41:32 PMProbably. Once.

We used to have a working NHS.
We used to have a working postal service.
We used to have...  A lot of things that worked but not anymore.
We certainly did.
I feel that we still have the brains and the practitioners who could do such things even now.
Unfortunately, we don't seem to have the 'decision makers' any more.

Ashy

Quote from: JBR on February 09, 2024, 01:32:09 PMAt the same time, they are trying to encourage us all to buy electric cars!
I think you will find, with all due respect, that the government is not so much encouraging us to buy battery cars but penalising the industry if they don't sell them.

I have always found that you can't go against the box office.

klondike

Come 2050 everybody will be driving 20+ year old diesels. And it still won't be WaterWorld.

ansu

You are right as to the nuclear power plants and no one knows whether it was a good decision or not. However, the so-called nuclear waste has to be stored somewhere and radiates for centuries. Germany is a densly populated country and no wants to have such a nuclear waste repository in his neighbourhood. Moreover, some regions are earthquake proned.

JBR

Quote from: ansu on February 10, 2024, 11:48:41 AMYou are right as to the nuclear power plants and no one knows whether it was a good decision or not. However, the so-called nuclear waste has to be stored somewhere and radiates for centuries. Germany is a densly populated country and no wants to have such a nuclear waste repository in his neighbourhood. Moreover, some regions are earthquake proned.
Yes, absolutely true.
However, we in the UK have the ideal solution.  We now have a great number of disused coal mines (still plenty of coal down there, of course) so we could use them for disposing of nuclear waste.
Even though we would enclose the waste by vitrification for safety reasons, once left a thousand feet underground, it is not going to leak to the surface or irradiate anyone throughout its remaining life.

Raven

Quote from: JBR on February 10, 2024, 01:02:45 PMYes, absolutely true.
However, we in the UK have the ideal solution.  We now have a great number of disused coal mines (still plenty of coal down there, of course) so we could use them for disposing of nuclear waste.
Even though we would enclose the waste by vitrification for safety reasons, once left a thousand feet underground, it is not going to leak to the surface or irradiate anyone throughout its remaining life.

That makes sense, but as we all know Governments don't do sense. They do, What's in it for me. :nooo:

JBR

Quote from: Raven on February 10, 2024, 01:12:44 PMThat makes sense, but as we all know Governments don't do sense. They do, What's in it for me. :nooo:
Absolutely.  Just about every ongoing problem we now have in this country can be traced back ultimately to those people in charge of running our country: politicians, civil servants and, of course, the over-privileged House of Lords.

muddy

Quote from: klondike on February 10, 2024, 09:56:40 AMCome 2050 everybody will be driving 20+ year old diesels. And it still won't be WaterWorld.
I won't I will be pushing up daisies .
And my diesel  car is already 12 years old ☹️

JBR

Quote from: muddy on February 10, 2024, 08:30:33 PMI won't I will be pushing up daisies .
And my diesel  car is already 12 years old ☹️
Ours is now almost three years old and going in soon for a service and MoT.
Marge suggested that we might buy a new car before they all turn out to be EVs!
Worth considering, if we can find one which is appropriate for us.  Our present one is a Golf and VW in their wisdom have now decided to sell ID7 EVs in its place.  Perhaps we'll have a look around and see what we can find, perhaps a smaller one than our Golf, which is already slightly difficult to get into the garage!