Don't tell him, Pike!

Started by Michael Rolls, February 05, 2024, 01:05:54 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Ian Lavender, who played Private Pike in the original Dad's Army, and was the last surviving member of that cast, has just died, aged 77. RIP
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

It came as a bit of a shock that he is several years older than me.
My memories of him are of a young boy pretending to be a soldier.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

Quote from: Michael Rolls on February 05, 2024, 01:05:54 PMIan Lavender, who played Private Pike in the original Dad's Army, and was the last surviving member of that cast, has just died, aged 77. RIP
Caroline Dowdswell is still with us although she played Janet King only in the first series. All the others have gone to that great Green Room in the sky.

I expect Walmington on Sea lost its last bank several years ago.

klondike

Gone but won't be forgotten for a while to come. RIP

JBR

I can say without fear of any contraception that Dad's Army was one of the best examples of TV series which was universally regarded as very humorous, yet very clever, entertainment in the good old days when the BBC was an excellent producer of TV programmes.

Raven

I liked Dad's Army, actually surprised it's still going and the woke nuts have not had it taken of air. After all Joansie goes on about fuzzy wuzzies.  :wink:

Scrumpy

How sad.. Such wonderful characters and so typical of life back then..
I still watch it occasionally.. when I am flicking through channels.. along with Only Fools..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

No token minorities, no gender nonsense, no lgbqt(or whatever it currently is).  Just nice and simple humour.

klondike

Ashy

JBR

I sincerely hope that in doing this sort of wokery, the BBC is effectively cutting its own throat.

Certainly, most older white-British people will deplore this, though of course our younger people will probably not even be aware of what we are losing and can never be replaced.

dextrous63

JBR

The more I think about it, this is not dissimilar to burning history books.

Is the woke BBC behaving like Nazis?

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]