Trouble in Texas

Started by Alex, January 26, 2024, 08:53:13 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

25 Republican governors released a joint statement in support of Texas Governor Greg Abbott and Texas' constitutional right to self-defense.

The statement comes as the Biden Administration continues to attack Texas and refuses to take action or responsibility for the crisis at the Southern border.

Texas National Guard and State Troopers (sounds like in the movies  :cool: ) have been brought in to secure the border AND Arkansas and Virginia have sent some of their own National Guard to help.  Biden is in a bind.

JBR

I would have every support for Texas.
I believe that, unlike UK counties, the American states have quite a lot of leeway when looking after their own interests, which I think is quite a good safety net when their national government do not support the state's particular interests.

O'Biden seems to be a little laissez faire when it comes to national security.  Whereas our own government is very happy to welcome in anyone who wants to come here illegally, offering us absolutely nothing of value, I am surprised that the US government is happy to let in as many of the third world who can be bothered to step over the border line.

I wish Texas every success.  If O'Biden won't look after their interests, they should do it themselves.

An afterthought:  If Yorkshire (and now I'd include Lancashire and Cheshire!) could do what Texas is doing, I'd not only applaud them, I'd push for the independence of those three counties!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Quote from: JBR on January 26, 2024, 09:41:40 PMI would have every support for Texas.
I believe that, unlike UK counties, the American states have quite a lot of leeway when looking after their own interests, which I think is quite a good safety net when their national government do not support the state's particular interests.

O'Biden seems to be a little laissez faire when it comes to national security.  Whereas our own government is very happy to welcome in anyone who wants to come here illegally, offering us absolutely nothing of value, I am surprised that the US government is happy to let in as many of the third world who can be bothered to step over the border line.

I wish Texas every success.  If O'Biden won't look after their interests, they should do it themselves.

An afterthought:  If Yorkshire (and now I'd include Lancashire and Cheshire!) could do what Texas is doing, I'd not only applaud them, I'd push for the independence of those three counties!

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:

ansu

I think you just forget one fact - it won't be too long and the "Latinos" will outnumber the "White" even if all American frontiers are closed. In California, for instance, if you need a plumber, you have to dial the corresponding number to be connected with an English or Spanish speaking one. 
In my opinion the best way to stop migration would be to start helping to improve the conditions of life in the corresponding countries, stop corruption there and take care that all children have the possibility of attending school, i.e. the chance of a better life in their motherland. 

dextrous63

That'd be lovely Ansu.  Colombia is one of the worst places for corruption, threats and violence.  With a population of 50+ million, where would one start?????

Ashy

Briefly paraphrased the USA Constitution says - if the Federal government doesn't do it the state can and if nobody does it the individual can. Something like that.

JBR

Quote from: ansu on January 27, 2024, 06:41:05 PMI think you just forget one fact - it won't be too long and the "Latinos" will outnumber the "White" even if all American frontiers are closed. In California, for instance, if you need a plumber, you have to dial the corresponding number to be connected with an English or Spanish speaking one.
In my opinion the best way to stop migration would be to start helping to improve the conditions of life in the corresponding countries, stop corruption there and take care that all children have the possibility of attending school, i.e. the chance of a better life in their motherland.

A better way, no doubt.  However, to improve the conditions of life in a country costs money.  Who will pay?
The country who pays would likely lose much of their own value.
Consequently, it is possible that the donor country and the recipient country would eventually even up with each other.
A very generous ideal, but who would give what they have and become like the beneficiary?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

Given that bribery, corruption and general thuggery are reasons why so many want to head north, one has to wonder who would end up pocketing any financial aid being provided.

Ashy

What we need is an empire.

dextrous63

klondike

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 27, 2024, 10:42:00 PMAs in a bingo hall?
Ah youth. Youth. I wish I was young enough not to remember Empires.

Cinema child. Cinema. Not a bloody new fangled thing like a bingo hall.

dextrous63

My grandmamama used to sit me on her knee and regale me with stories of those moving picture theatres you recall.  I was 23 at the time😬

ansu

You are right, it would cost a lot of money, but those immigrants we don't like to have in our country also cost a lot of money. 
Maybe I am wrong, but I think that well-educated people are critical and maybe may contribute a lot to abolish corruption in those countries. On the other side I think we often forget that the positive effect of our travelling is that we support the economy of those countries, the negative effect is that we give those people the impression that all people in our countries are rich. 

dextrous63

What would help would be to somehow get people to stop taking drugs and this eradicate a large swathe of the criminal classes' bread and butter.