EU News

Started by Alex, December 14, 2023, 07:12:58 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

BRUSSELS, Dec 14 (Reuters) - European Union leaders unexpectedly agreed on Thursday to open membership talks with Ukraine, something Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban for weeks had vowed to block.

EU diplomats and officials said Orban agreed to leave the room, knowing the other leaders would go ahead and vote on Ukraine.

Orban confirmed that he had abstained from the vote at the EU summit on what he called a "bad decision".

klondike

Good job we left. That place is going to be a worse money pit than the NHS.

ansu

Not so sure about this, you had special conditions and benefits. However, that's yesterday's snow. As to Orban - he is gambling. Don't forget that the Turks were in Hungary for some hundred years and as far as I can judge they influenced in the one or other way the way of life and thinking of the Hungarians. 

JBR

Personally, I was happy with the EEC, a trading organisation.  Trade between countries is very important, but even more important is for each individual country to have its own democratically elected government whose sole interest is the well-being of its own country.

Yes, the EU has a democratically elected 'government', the European Parliament.  It can talk about what should or should not be done, but who really runs the show?  The EU Commission.

There is no way I would ever vote to hand over the running of my country to a group of politicians each of whom, except for one, come from a foreign country.

Of course, to be honest, we are also in a worrying situation in that our government - still majority elected Conservative - are now unable to run the country and have effectively handed over the job to the civil service and the judiciary.
Because most British people, sadly, seem able only to vote for 'the two main parties', it is likely that Labour will take over the 'non-running' of the country and which will remain with the civil service and the judiciary. 

Some will argue that as we are no longer able to run our own country (democratically), we may as well hand it back to a majority foreign power!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire