New Political Party

Started by Alex, December 09, 2023, 09:21:12 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

The Party of Islam has been turned down by the electrical commission on a technicality. If their bid is eventually accepted, how much longer will Labour be able to rely on their vote? 

Labour would lose so many seats !

June Slater

klondike

They would be like the LibDems. Well supported in some places and little elsewhere so they'd get more seats than you'd maybe expect for their vote count but still not enough to get any power. They would surely deny Labour some seats.

If I were Sunak I'd do my best to get them recognised and try to hold out on an election til they were. Possibly his only chance to avoid Armegeddon. More chance of that than sending anybody to Ruwanda.

JBR

Turned down today, but the future?
Just wait for a few years and they'll be re-established and gain a majority!  😨
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

Quote from: JBR on December 09, 2023, 11:41:58 PMTurned down today, but the future?
Just wait for a few years and they'll be re-established and gain a majority!  😨
It'll be a lot of years. There are still mosqueless parts of the UK. 😉
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on December 10, 2023, 07:25:04 AMIt'll be a lot of years. There are still mosqueless parts of the UK. 😉
Ah, but all the big cities seem to be their targets, and that's where most of our population resides.

klondike

Obviously in my opinon but reasons given.

To win an election a party needs over 30% of the vote to form a government. UKIP were a party with widespread support and up to 15% of the vote at one time I think only ever got a single seat. A closer match to a Muslim party as I said before are the LibDems who also get around 15% but have had as many as 40 or more seats. Recently their seats gained have fallen to low teens.

Now I imagine that vanishingly few non Muslims would vote for a Muslim party and probably not all Muslims. I can't see Sunak throwing his hat in with them for instance even after he loses the top job when he loses the next election (or even before). I had a thought after writing that and checked. Sunak wouldn't for sure as he's Hindu.

As I mentioned elsewhere the known (so eligible to register to vote) Muslim percentage of the UK population is less than 10% - 6.5% in the 2021 census and many would be too young to vote. The demographics of some cities means they may get a few seats. They may cause Labour to lose some as it seems most but obviously not all of of them vote Labour.

The only possible outcome of them getting registered and standing in the next election is a minor advantage to the Conservatives.

JBR

Yes, that's good news, especially if many of them vote for their own party instead of Labour.

I regularly read comments in the Telegraph, and I see more and more people talking about voting for Reform.  No surprise, though, as the Conservatives have made a complete hash of everything over the past several PMs!
I think that trying to rope Cameron in is nothing more than desperation, as he wasn't very popular when he was PM.