Spring election?

Started by klondike, December 07, 2023, 10:03:53 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Braverman: Tories Face 'Electoral Oblivion' over Migration Failures, Rwanda Scheme Fix 'Fatally Flawed'

A long-brewing civil war within the Conservative Party over immigration broke out on Wednesday as ousted Home Secretary Suella Braverman warned that the party is facing "electoral oblivion" while warning that Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's legislative attempt to save the plan to send illegal migrants to centres in Rwanda is doomed to fail.

Update 19:45 — Immigration minister resigns
Robert Jenrick the Immigration Minister has quit the government over the Rwanda bill, saying it does not go far enough, reports the Daily Telegraph. Per their report, he wanted a far more robust bill that would have included clauses to prevent the process once again being bogged down in endless legal challenges. One of those changes, a "notwithstanding" clause, would have used the legislative power of Parliament to opt that law out of the European Convention on Human Rights, meaning foreign judges could not move to block British policy.

It is unusual for a cabinet minister to resign on a point of principle in UK politics, and this comes just hours after Suella Braverman's fiery warning about the pending disaster awaiting the Conservatives suggests — if only slightly — a rebellion may be brewing.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/12/06/braverman-tories-face-electoral-oblivion-over-migration-failures-sunaks-rwanda-scheme-fix-fatally-flawed/

JBR

Just watching Sunak on GB News right now spouting off about Rwanda.
He continues to talk about working to overcome the Supreme Court rulings, that body presently preventing any further movement toward sending illegals to a foreign country.

The Supreme Court and no doubt the ECHR both collectively seem to be running our country.

Of course, he never mentioned anything about the agreement under which for every person we send to Rwanda they can sent a similar number of their unwanted back to us!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

Rwanda is a diversion at the best. For every one migrant we might send to them we could get a thousand of their most difficult cases back. That could include some of ours in the future. We could get them all back.

This parliament has run out of steam, as they all do, and we can be sure of a clear out at the next election.

Scrumpy

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
The patients are running the asylum...

Never a more truer word spoken..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

I like klondike's description - the lizards, will I ever see a politician in the same light again!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖