Main Menu

Poland

Started by Alex, September 26, 2023, 04:01:08 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Polish MEP speaking at the EU two weeks ago

GrannyMac

He has a point, but it makes you wonder why there are so many Poles here if its so perfect? 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

It hasn't always been that way in Poland, only the last couple of years has work life improved there.   My next door neighbour Tomaz is from Poland he's been here for years, he and his wife have no intention of going home - at least not yet ! he says. :smiley:

dextrous63

Assuming you're referring to the last 25 years or so, a lot of Poles came over due to the strength of the £ at the time.  My cousin could earn a Polish month's wages in a couple of days over here.  Many Poles have now returned home.

klondike

Plenty here still. There are small supermarkets dedicated to Polish foods. Other Eastern Europeans too. The difference between them and the dinghy boys is that they are far closer to us culturally and they aren't costing the taxpayer a fortune.

dextrous63

It's round about now that I like to namedrop that one of my cousins was the Chairman of Solidarity from 2002-2010.  Just saying😬

JBR

Quote from: Alex on September 26, 2023, 04:01:08 PMPolish MEP speaking at the EU two weeks ago

I really don't know how he could say all of those things.

I struggled after the first three letters.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Clever folks. Imagine their crosswords or Scrabble.

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on September 26, 2023, 08:15:57 PM:grin: :grin: :grin:

Clever folks. Imagine their crosswords or Scrabble.
Meanwhile, although my old fella was Polish (with it as his mother tongue), my mother was Welsh (with that as her mother tongue). No wonder I sometimes slip into yoda English.

GrannyMac

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 26, 2023, 09:53:13 PMMeanwhile, although my old fella was Polish (with it as his mother tongue), my mother was Welsh (with that as her mother tongue). No wonder I sometimes slip into yoda English.
Do you speak both as well as English?  That would be some feat! 

klondike

Nobody's tonsils could survive that..  :grin:

dextrous63

Sadly not.  Even English is a struggle for me😬

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 26, 2023, 09:53:13 PMMeanwhile, although my old fella was Polish (with it as his mother tongue), my mother was Welsh (with that as her mother tongue). No wonder I sometimes slip into yoda English.
Good heavens!  What a combination.
I'm surprised that you can actually speak English.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on September 27, 2023, 10:31:11 AMGood heavens!  What a combination.
I'm surprised that you can actually speak English.
Itza bare which I crosses necessarily.

GrannyMac